Author Topic: Beech Lamp  (Read 2837 times)

Paul Disdle

Beech Lamp
« on: January 30, 2013, 10:25:13 AM »
6" high and 3.5" wide made from old beech lab bench. Lamp fittings recycled from an old lamp. Finished with friction polish and hard wax.

Thanks

Paul

Please comment and help me improve my turning

woody

Re: Beech Lamp
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 05:48:54 PM »
that is one well turned and finished lamp the only thing I have noticed is that you should have planed away the top layer of wood before you glued them up because naturally the wood it darker on the top were the wood was exposed to the elements and worked on in the lab

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 06:41:31 PM »
Paul,

This is a fine form and a good finish. If it had not been for Woody realising about the previous surface discolouration I'd not have realised what it was.

When I first looked, the rays in the wood (3rd pic) are so well lined up, I'd assumed it was a something you'd done to the timber to create an effect prior to finishing with polish.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Paul Disdle

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 07:10:12 PM »
well spotted Woody! I had belt sanded  both top and bottom (I don't have a planner) but clearly not well enough or possible its something to do with the glue I used which was titebond II. Fortunately I think/hope it does not detract from the overall piece.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
Hello Paul, very nice and well done.
 There is no need to power sand prior to gluing up, mount it on your lathe and turn it flat. I have abrasive fixed to a bit of (planed up) 2x2 which I carefully hold against the revolving disc, as long as you are not trying to take 1/4 in off at a time this will give you a true enough surface for gluing. Wear a face mask and use extraction though as it does create a bit of dust.
Hope this helps ,
 Regards
John BHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 02:49:28 AM »

Paul, that's a lovely lamp and I think even for error that makes a nice detail with the fine band, adds to how and what it;s made from.

Well done.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''