General Category > General Discussion

Wood finishes....

<< < (2/4) > >>

thebowlerhattedturner:
There are loads of finishes that you could try this one is similar to the last one but is
1/3 Turpentine(not white spirit)If you use white spirit in this recipe it acts as a cleaner/reviver.
1/3 Meths
1/3 Boiled linseed oil.

Another polish is beeswax and Turpentine with BLO added. This makes a paste wax whose consistency can be altered by the addition/subtraction of Turpentine.

You can also use Liquid paraffin from the chemist(you know the stuff you take to make you go!)but that can be expensive.

Hope this helps
Regards
John BHT

Woodcrafts:

--- Quote from: thebowlerhattedturner on February 01, 2013, 08:58:59 PM ---You can also use Liquid paraffin from the chemist(you know the stuff you take to make you go!)but that can be expensive.
Hope this helps
Regards
John BHT

--- End quote ---
If you don't mind an interesting aroma, Johhson's baby oil is basically liquid paraffin, or mineral oil, as they call it in the USA. One of the supermarkets had it on offer recently, at £1 for 500ml. Just remember NOT to use BLO on the baby!!!

Woodcrafts:

--- Quote from: George Watkins on February 01, 2013, 04:28:59 PM ---If you can find a polyurethane based varnish you could try making your own wipe on poly- there's lots of recipes on the interweb but at its most basic its 50/50 varnish to white spirit.

--- End quote ---
Be careful if you buy polyurethane varnish for this recipe as many are now acrylic (water based) so will not thin with white spirit.

arcos:
So, today I bought BLO and a synthetic varnish to try out making my own wipe on finish...

Just tried a little experiment with each individually and then approximately a 50/50 mix...

Results....

BLO well yes of course no surprises there.
The synthetic varnish appeared to actually go on fairly well BUT it did not leave an shine! For some reason it did cover the piece that I had on the lathe but it acted almost like oil and soaked into the wood!

50/50 mix.... Looks just the way I wanted! It has given a really nice shine with just one coat and has given a lovely depth to the wood.

I guess one more question needs to be asked...

How long, more or less, should I leave it to dry before applying a 2nd and 3rd coat?

I want to see if I can build up a really deep shine without it becoming unnatural.

Bryan Milham:
Oil, I'd use one or two coats in fairly quick time, wiping off between. Then daily for as long as it took to build the finish I wanted. It can be applied with rag, cloth, synthetic abrasive, wire wool or even abrasive. Sanding (use your final grit again) will build a slurry and fill any grain or small cracks.

Poly, I've never used but definitely follow the instructions on the tin, the manufacturer knows best. The only warning I'd offer is it set's more slowly in the cold, so be prepared to adjust the drying time upwards.

Now the hard one, a 50/50 mix, I don't think I'd try to use any abrasive with it. So work it like the straight poly, but that's a best guess. Anyone else done this and can offer a better answer?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version