General Category > General Discussion

Turning a natural edge platter?

(1/4) > >>

arcos:
Sorry, I am bored sat in a hospital waiting room so MISSING turning!!!

I have access to pine planks that are unuseable for commercial planking. Basically the outer cuts from the tree.

I would estimate that they are about somewhere between 10 - 20mm thick with bark on both edges.

I'm thinking about small 'square'(?) Platters but not sure where to start! 
Any tips on getting started please?

Eric Harvey:
First ignore George, then second glue a waste block on the back,then turn the front,then reverse turn it,a piece of cloth over the jaws and tailstock brought up to waste block to sandwich it in place,then you can gently take small cuts to do the reverse and turn off/part the waste block off,should make some interesting small plates/platters especialy if you can keep some of the bark on.I hope that is helpful to you,regards,

Eric.

BrianH:
You are talking about sapwood pine here......A sticky mess or a spitting but warm fire....The choice is yours
Brian

arcos:
Now, now boys!

George, I like fancy firewood!

Brian that is very helpful and I will see what happens and of COURSE let you know!

I like the idea for turning plates. Even if it is with non firewood ;-)

I have some dry/aged boards that I will try first. They don't need to be anything 'fancy' they will be used to serve a bit of lunch in the forest to 4x4 mud pluggers and will, hopefully, look better than paper plates to eat their quiche off!

Martin Lawrence:
I would not want to eat of a plate made of pine, leave for wall plaques, decorative items only nothing thata is going near consumables.

Cheers Martin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version