General Category > General Discussion

Vicmarc VL200

<< < (2/3) > >>

davidbrac:
my feeling is that the floor is moving as chipboard is not very stiff, you would be better off with ply or even a sheet of thick steel. However if the floor moves then a concrete base is the only real option. Just remember if the floor is moving then the lathe will be top heavy. A wooden floor may not be able to hold the weight of this lathe and if its moving then the nails/screws on the floor are most probably working loose.

Try the tests that Terry mentioned and if there is play then try adjusting the thrush bearing first, the manual explains how to do this. Beware that a worn belt can also be noisy

woodndesign:

Hi Russell,

There's so many unknown factors with a S/H Lathe as with anything, I'd go with the floor, why, of all the workshops (mainly garages) that I've had, I've now got all be it's a Heavy Duty Workshop, a timber construction and floor, I've found I get alot of noise off my lathe, a Mystro on heavy steel bench than ever before, so much I got concerned to almost take in apart, moved it round even and put down a secondary laminate wood floor, but it's the thin or lack of timber bearers.

I'd not consider your need to take yours apart, check as mentioned, one thing which can happen to most any lathe is the pulleys work losse on the shaft, there's normally two grub screws, a top one locking a second underneath, if it wears on the key this can setup movement.

Hope that it's simple and there's not the likelihood you'll need the concrete pad, brace yourself ...   ;D ..

Cheers David

ru55ell1:
Have tried to get pics on here but no sucsess.

I wil try out all your suggestions and update asap.

many thanks

Eric Harvey:
is it variable speed,I have a paving slab floor with 2 layers of OSB board atop that,my old lathe used to dance evrywhere,but only weighed 97kilos and on a pressed steel frame,my new lathe a 3520B doesn`t move,if the speed selected is right,ie if it dances lower the speed until it stops and that cures it,but it does weigh 326 kilos,if your lathes weighs less than 150 kilos I`d say its just the offbalance weight making it dance,regards,

Eric.

ru55ell1:
Happy Days

The weather picked up enough on saturday to get my lathe out on the patio (3 of us) and low and behold it works fine on a solid floor. So its out with the Jigsaw, cut out a piece of floor, shutter it up and pour some concrete.
Doing this as a temporary until new shed is built later in the year with a solid floor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version