General Category > General Discussion

Oak, Vinegar and Wire Wool....

<< < (2/4) > >>

arcos:
Aha, that's great thanks!

So just 'paint' the mix on?

Well, I have done both paint it on AND submerse the piece into the mix.

It is  pretty 'funky' purple at the moment.

I guess I will just have to wait and see what it's like in a few hors or in the morning!

Bryan Milham:
Paul, You've got to have a chemistry background to come up with such a brilliant description. That is probably one of the best explanations of how it works and why I've ever read.

Arcos,

If you wire brush (small sets available from €1 shops) the finished piece, you can then fill the eroded grain with something. Normally we'd use something like Liming Wax but I've seen Plaster of Paris used, just about any thick white or coloured paste substance can be used.

bodrighywood has shown the goblet with a gilt finish - there is another idea.

Just remember to use it as jewellery it will need something over it to stop whatever you apply rubbing off onto the wearer.

bodrighywood:
This is a close up of some oak candlesticks that were wire brushed to drag the grain out, ebonised with wire wool in vinegar that I brushed on and then lime waxed as mentioned. Main problem using the vinegar method id that the smell takes quite a while to disappear so isn't suitable fr anything you are likely to sell or give away soon after finishing.

Pete

thebowlerhattedturner:
Paul,
       I thoroughly enjoyed the chemistry lesson,if that doesn't sum up the "mystery" of the craft I don't know what will. The reason wire wool and vinegar is used by woodturners is very simple,it's free! We all have wire wool in the workshop and pinch some vinegar from the kitchen and you can make free stain. You could use lemon juice instead but that is a more expensive option but smells nicer.
Arcos,
         something else you could try is fuming your Oak. Best done outdoors taking safety into consideration,put a small amount of household ammonia onto a saucer inside a sealed plastic bag along with your turned object. It will emerge a glorious brown colour.
Van Dyke crystals dissolved in hot water are also very good.
My favourite for really black is india ink. Louis Vuitton type colours can be added with a felt tip pen and shavings from some of the exotic timbers can be boiled up and applied with some striking results. Food dyes are quite useful as are some herbs.
Regards
John BHT

woody:
This one was done with one application the same way I described earlier and it is jet black I sometimes bub gold guiding cream into the grain after

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version