General Category > General Discussion

roughouts with colour...

(1/3) > >>

Andy Coates:
I was having a tidy up on Sunday (don't faint, Roger) and got tired of moving a large lump of recently felled cherry from A to B and back again. So I thought I'd cut it up and rough it out as cherry is notoriously prone to splitting when in small section.

Here are a few of the roughed bowls( pic 1) (like I need any more bowls)...the oxidation causes glorious colour. What a pity we can't fix it at this stage...

And I also found the two at the back on the right...oak...and they reminded me why i didn't need any more roughed out bowls...

they were roughed in June 2009 and I STILL  hadn't finish turned them. And there are loads more in the store room.

So...feeling guily I turned the two oak bowls into something else...when completed I'll post a picture....

does anybody else rough out bowls purely so the wood doesn't waste?

Philip Greenwood:
Hi Andy

I spend a lot of the winter months roughing out, i can control the size and shape better then buying planks.

I could not say how many i have ready for turning i keep looking at them but other jobs in the workshop come up.

Phil

woodndesign:
Andy.

Thats some nice stock there, I've mainly got small branches still in the round, should I ever get power into the shop, other than running extentions out, I may get to convert them.
On the size you have there, what thickness do you work too and do you do anything else regards leaving them to dry.

David

Andy Coates:
I don't actually measure the thickness, but then after you've turned hundreds of them you don't need to. The general rule of thumb is that you leave a wall of 10% of the overall diameter. The problem with this ratio is you are restricted to producing set thickenss bowls. When you gain some experience of various woods, you often find you can leave them thicker than 10%, which leaves some lattitude for the eventual shape, wall thickenss Etc., etc.

I usually just coat the endgrain areas with PVA and stack them somewhere dry and out of draughts. The success rate is very good, and I don't lose many at all.

woodndesign:

Thanks on that Andy, I've come across some differing views over the coarse of time, so ideal to catch up as to how you store.

David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version