General Category > General Discussion

Good Idea?

(1/2) > >>

arcos:
I discovered a piece of horse chestnut today that had fallen from one of my trees. Not a very big piece but it had been hidden in some undergrowth for quite some time and is bone dry but sound!

I took a small pice of the branch and turned a little pendant just to see what the wood was like and if it was going to be useable.

When I put some oil onto it the wood just sucked it right in! I suspect because it is SO dry!

Anyway, my question....

After literally slapping on linseed oil and it being absorbed almost immediately I have dropped the pendant into a small jar and covered with linseed oil!

Is this a good idea?  ???

Paul Disdle:
Two chances, how long do you intend to leave it in there?  I have found linseed oil can leave a  slightly unpleasant oil feel to wood that's been over fed with it.

Paul

arcos:
Hmm... Well, its been in overnight and has certainly taken on quite a bit of oil.

I am leaving it on a piece of paper to see how much, of any oil comes out.

There is a very different weight to the wood now!

I'm going to leave it throughout today and see what its like. If it is 'holding' the oil then I will seal it with varnish and see what happens.

thebowlerhattedturner:
Hi arcos,
           you might try wood stabilising fluid, pop some in a jar and drop your pendant in, when it stops bubbling take it out to dry.
Do this before you turn it and you can then get a good finish.
Regards
John BHT

Bryan Milham:
Okay John, I've never heard of 'Wood Stabilising Fluid', care to give me a clue.

I'm assuming you don't mean Wood Hardener.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version