Author Topic: Natural edge bowl ( Fuel for the fire) but advice required Please  (Read 2865 times)

Devchef1

Hi All  :)

Been a busy boy at work this week so not much Shaving's been made , just had a play with a natural edge bowl and although I am happy with the learning process i am going through i need  you all to be critical please and tell me where i can improve , and I hate the Finnish i have put on total disaster but thats all part of the learning.

AND THE REASON FOR IT BEEN FIREWOOD  LOL

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Natural edge bowl ( Fuel for the fire) but advice required Please
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 08:55:50 PM »
I'll have a crack at the first two;

1. The wall thickness needs to be the same at least to past the lowest point of the natural edge. The reason for this is if it's allowed to widen the lowest bark/natural edge will be thicker - difficult to explain - look at the pic's the bark area gets wider.

2. This is more a personal thought - the walls should not be to upright, curve them under the form faster, get away from the upright walls of a bowl. It makes the form more pleasing to the eye.

Eh... nice carving of a thumb but don't think it fits the look of the bowl!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Devchef1

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 09:26:08 PM »
I'll have a crack at the first two;

1. The wall thickness needs to be the same at least to past the lowest point of the natural edge. The reason for this is if it's allowed to widen the lowest bark/natural edge will be thicker - difficult to explain - look at the pic's the bark area gets wider.

2. This is more a personal thought - the walls should not be to upright, curve them under the form faster, get away from the upright walls of a bowl. It makes the form more pleasing to the eye.

Eh... nice carving of a thumb but don't think it fits the look of the bowl!

Think I understand point one , but looking at it now I see what you mean , I was apprehensive that the top edge would come away but it's the wall thickness that I need to reduce

Mike

woody

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 09:39:17 AM »
With side grain natural edge bowls the bark edge will always look thicker on the lower edge because you are lower down the side of the log and this gives the appearance of a thicker wall when in fact it isn't you do need to try and move away from the straight sides and bring in a more curved form this will make the whole thing look more pleasing as for the thumb let your nails grow or paint it red LOL
But all that said a good attempt keep trying
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 09:41:13 AM by woody »