Author Topic: Re: loseing finger top  (Read 3011 times)

petjeffery

Re: loseing finger top
« on: February 24, 2013, 11:31:52 AM »
Hello all i have had to stop turning again as my hole hand is playing up can not move my fingers very well on right hand i am waiting for aother op on it but they not holding out much hope. They want to try. As next step is to have hole finger remove from palm of hand but they say it will collapse. But i would be able to move it all fine but won't be to strong. Another bridge to cross any way hope you are all ok and keeping well

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 01:47:39 PM »
Hi Pete,
          sorry to hear that you are not recovering the full use of your finger as you would like.I know loads of people(mainly woodmachinists) who have lost fingers and they have made a full recovery and have managed to adapt to less than 10 digits. You may not think it now but I am sure that if that does happen in your case you will make a good recvery and will be back makin'shavin's soon.
Good luck
Regards
John BHT

Offline Jim

• bronze
    • Penturners
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 05:08:16 PM »
Sorry to hear ypur having to stop turning mate, i hope all turns out well for you in the near future ,,,

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 06:23:51 PM »
Pete,  I hope everything goes well, it's amazing how well the body can adapt to and generally overcome this sort of injury.

I wish you well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 09:50:08 AM »
I used to work with a Scotsman that had a the index finger of his right hand shot off dury the 2nd world war,onece the finger was gone and he had learned to adapt,his grip wasn`t much different to anyone elses,its amazing how you recover from these traumatic things,don`t give up hope,all the best for your future,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline vyvsdad

• copper
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 09:02:11 PM »
The best turner I ever knew had a thumb missing. Cut off by a table saw. It didn't seem to hinder him in the least, but I did notice all of his clothes had zips and not buttons.