Author Topic: burr formation  (Read 4157 times)

Offline BrianH

• gold
burr formation
« on: March 11, 2013, 05:31:24 PM »
Can anyone explain how and why some trees grow burrs but most just don't ???
Thanks in advance
Brian

Offline George Watkins

• bronze
    • FromTheTree
Re: burr formation
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 06:45:36 PM »
as far as I know there is no definite answer
some believe it’s to do with the tree's growing conditions but then how could two oaks standing side by side one be full of burr and the other straight grained!!
some believe it’s a abnormality in the tree itself.
I’ve even heard it said that its to do with certain weather conditions!!

I'm just grateful that they do  :)

arcos

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 07:36:48 PM »
I am lead to believe that a burr is formed from damage to the tree.

Quite fascinating...

I'm interested in finding some information on turning a burr as I have a rather large olive tree with 3 massive burrs! Video links appreciated!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 07:41:46 PM »
I have a rather large olive tree with 3 massive burrs!

Feeling very jealous :'(
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Paul Disdle

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 08:00:04 PM »
I believe the most common cause is damage to the tree buy insect or mold type attacks.

Paul

Andy Coates

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 09:33:44 PM »
Burrs are often the result of the tree's reaction to a parasitic attack, such as from insects, or can simply be a genetic response to a perceived threat. The mechanism being to produce branch shoots. FAr too many are produce and they never develop, hence the pipping we love to see.

As for turning...treat as normal. Burr can be easier to turn in respect of having no definite grain direction, but crying burrs can be problematic and "pulling" is often seen on burrs turned from green. Most turners don't like the effect but I love it!

arcos

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 12:33:09 AM »
Turn as normal?

Do burrs get turned 'inside out'? As in... I would take a spit log and say, put a screw chuck in the open wood then turn the bark off. With a burr would you try and keep a 'natural edge'(?) by placing the screw chuck into the barked side and turn that way?

No idea if that makes ANY sense at all sorry!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 07:39:09 PM »
Arcos, although beautiful it is just another bit of wood, they can be turned either way.

If it's a small shallow burr, I'd have to say that it is normal for the burr to be turned such that the bowl bottom was nearer the tree's heart whether the bark is left on or off.

If it's a deep/big burr then turning it base out will give you the greatest show of the burr in the base but no natural edge.

This picture is of an oak burr (Burr to the base) I turned some time ago. A chainsaw cut through the bark in an awkward place made it impossible to leave a natural edge and the cracks made for quite an interesting time on the lathe.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline davidbrac

• copper
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 08:34:21 AM »
Can anyone explain how and why some trees grow burrs but most just don't ???
Thanks in advance
Brian

as others have said usually formed by some form of stress to the tree, ie fungus, injury, or virus. However not all of these will start to cause burrs so there may be other factors as well.

arcos

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 09:40:09 AM »
I also remember reading somewhere that it is a growth deformity where perhaps a branch started and then didnt form correctly creating a 'scar'.