General Category > General Discussion

Drilling holes...

(1/3) > >>

arcos:
Ok, so I want to drill a hole STRAIGHT!

Knowing my hand drilling skills that just ain't gonna happen!

Don't own a drill press NOR a jacobs chuck...

Any other suggestions?

(I can already hear go buy a jacobs chuck you tight @rse!)

Bryan Milham:
What is it you want to drill a hole in.

Centered on a turning?

Something off the lathe?

Is it a one off or will it be repeated (that size) many times?

Do you have the drill Bit already?

For example, if you have the bit and it's not too large a size, and you want to run it down the center of a turning while held on the lathe, you can hold in a pair of Mole Grips. A starting dimple turned in the end of wood and by holding the bit in place and pushing in (and pulling out to  clear the wood shavings - often) a hole can be drilled quite redily.

arcos:
It's a hole centered on a turning although it could be done off lathe I guess pre turning.

Already have the drill bit.

I am looking at turning a lamp and obviously need to feed a cable through it. As its not a tall lamp I guess it could be done on the lathe with mole grips. I'm just not sure that I can get the hole centered properly that way.

As I am also thinking about starting pens then perhaps the jacobs chuck is inevitable?

Bryan Milham:
Ah, more info...

Lamps are normally drilled on the lathe. Using a Long Hole boring system (Look up Gun Drill) and a hollow Live Centre (It will have a hole all the way throigh it)

Pen's - I don't do them but from what I've seen, the blanks are drilled on a Drill Press.

bodrighywood:
Other option for a lamp not using any drills(remembered from my school days LOL) is to get your spindle and cut in half. Score a groove down the centre on both pieces and clamp and glue back up. Turn between centres aligned on the holes at each end.
Hope that makes sense.

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version