General Category > General Discussion

End Grain Tearout

(1/2) > >>

arcos:
I have spent some time working toward 'Angels Hair' shavings to avoid tearout... Sharp and light! Have achieved as was shown in a video where the shavings re incredibly fine and removing any tooling marks also.

I currently have a piece of Mimosa on the lathe that I simply cannot stop the tearout!

Is there anyway of 'stablising' the end grain to avoid this?

My fear is that the Mimosa that I have access to is all going to be like this, due to it's age, and will be a constant issue for every turning. If there were some way of stopping/reducing the tearout I think I will be able to use most of the donated wood!

Bill Mooney:
give your timber a coat of soft paste wax & use a sharp tool & this may help by lubricating the tool & reducing/eliminating tearout.

arcos:
Thanks Bill

I actually used some BLO and varnish mix and then went over again with the gouge. Result was a little better but not much.

Gave the piece a good soaking and with more BLO and varnish mix, left to soak in and then wet and dry paper to try and 'fill' some of the tearout. The result is not that bad actually and really didnt take as long as I was expecting.

Finished bowl can be seen in the gallery in a little while

Bill Mooney:
I'm pleased you managed OK. If it happens again coat your bowl with a good coat of danish oil & sand after a few minutes & a slurry will form to fill in the tear-out then allow to dry before finishing.

arcos:
Thanks Bill...

I think thats kind of what I did?  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version