General Category > General Discussion

slight wobble....

(1/4) > >>

arcos:
Oh, oh my lathe has developed a slight wobble at the headstock.  :'(

I use a Nova G3 chuck and have run the lathe at various speeds to check this wobble. There is no perceptible movement at high seed. Low speed there is a clear wobble.

I have removed the chuck and given it a check over and a good clean and retried. Still the same.

I have run the lathe up with no chuck and cannot see any perceptible movement, though I guess that would be difficult with just the spindle showing.

I have removed, cleaned and returned the headstock locking nut, no change.

I have pulled and pushed on the headstock spindle for any perceptible movement, nothing.

Any suggestions please guys???

Oh, no I dont have access to one of those clever roller devices for checking bearings

arcos:
Thanks George, very helpful...

woody:
What lathe have you got because some lathes you have to adjust the bearings

arcos:
It's a cheap Chinese lathe MC-940 unlikely to have a bearing let alone adjustable!  ;D

I  just checked the pulley on the spindle and there appears to be slight movement but would not expect it to be creating a wobble on the chuck although I will tighten this up tomorrow and see what happens.

I'm a bit reluctant to start looking around for the bearing but maybe that will be my next step. When I start taking things to pieces I always have bits left over!!  :-[

Mind you, if I were a neurosurgeon I would be difficult to find anything let alone have something left over with some forum members here!  ;)

woodndesign:

--- Quote from: arcos on March 19, 2013, 06:24:55 PM ---It's a cheap Chinese lathe MC-940 unlikely to have a bearing let alone adjustable!  ;D

I  just checked the pulley on the spindle and there appears to be slight movement but would not expect it to be creating a wobble on the chuck although I will tighten this up tomorrow and see what happens.

I'm a bit reluctant to start looking around for the bearing but maybe that will be my next step. When I start taking things to pieces I always have bits left over!!  :-[

Mind you, if I were a neurosurgeon I would be difficult to find anything let alone have something left over with some forum members here!  ;)

--- End quote ---

:) ....    ;D ....   :D ....   :'(  ....  or ROFL ...till cry ...

Arcos, even cheap Chinese Lathes have a bearing/s, as Woody asked, if we could identify a type or brand, as most all lathes today at the entry end of the market come from China, it would help sort your problem as to what or if something could be done, at the moment it is for you to try all the options as you've been doing.

Cheers  David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version