General Category > General Discussion

slight wobble....

<< < (3/4) > >>

Bryan Milham:
The 'Hive Mind' strikes again!

woodndesign:

--- Quote from: arcos on March 19, 2013, 09:32:25 PM ---FANTASTIC!

Thanks guys...

There is definitely a little movement on the pulley block, not much but enough to make me want to tighten something! Two grub screws are there so will take the assembly off in the morning, clean, grease grub screws, refit and tighten.

I hope that will resolve the issue!

Great minds there guys! I'm sure I would have some bits left over with your three!!!!  ;)

--- End quote ---

If this is not too late .. do not grease the screws, even if it's just them, any heat transfer can melt it and result even if a small amount getting into the pulley and onto the belt should it be running in that ratio at the time or later and effect the belt, if not cause it to slip.

Should you be able to grease (LM Grease) the bearing/s that the cage is open, use about a teaspoon (don't place in your tea) amount round the inside of the race, and not pack the outside, forces, it always finds it's way out not in ... over packed will effect the Coefficients of the bearing, fly everywhere and for our work pull in dust,  be careful in disturbing the seals if the bearing/s are sealed for life, they are just that ...   ;D .. for life or till worn out ...   :(   ...

If you've pulled everything apart,  :o ...  check the key is located in the shaft and not dropped out on assemble, the screw alone will not take the drive.

Cheers   David

arcos:
Ok, removed pulley, cleaned, tightened grub screws and seems to be running MUCH better but still not completely true. I can feel a very, very slight wobble when sanding a test piece BUT it looks pretty true around the rim so hopefully this has cured it sufficiently.

I think that I will need to seriously consider a replacement lathe at some point but PLEASE not right now!!

Thanks for all the help and tips guys!

woodndesign:

Well done, how did the bearing/s look ... Plan for the worst, trust for the best.

happy turning.

David

arcos:
Thanks David

To be honest I didn't even look at the bearing/s.

I prefer to try easy things first and if no success delve deeper!

Turned a little 'thing' with thin sides to see if there were a noticeable runout. I couldn't notice anything nasty so will leave it as it is for now.

I have a few olive bowls to turn tomorrow so let's see how that goes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version