Author Topic: bowl  (Read 3177 times)

pickhanhaken

bowl
« on: March 28, 2013, 09:57:40 AM »
Hello,

here is a bowl out of oak, outside is hammered and stained black, inside is nature.
The size: 160mm diameter and 115mm in height.

Greetings
Andreas

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
Re: bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:14:42 AM »
Lovely finish on the bowl!!!

Regards
Terry
Regards

Terry

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 07:24:04 PM »
Andreas,

It looks so tactile I want to hold it. 

Hammered, with what please?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 12:41:08 AM »

Andreas, you have got this form nailed as we'd put it, spot on, your signature piece, the finish hints of bronze or copper, then could it just be from the black staining.
Nice size bowl as well.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

pickhanhaken

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 11:11:45 AM »
Hello,

I`m sorry that I didn`t right the details, I had to try first if the pictures are coming out. The picture system here in the english forum is a little bid easier than in the german forum. I`m not any more owner of the two boxes, I sold them at a arts and craft market here in Germany, but they were both out of oak and the black one had an diameter of around 60mm and the other had around 80mm. The body of both were hammered (please correct me if I write something wrong for instance I don`t know if the word hammered is okay? I hit the wood with a hammer who had a pin on the point). The black one is stained and the other fumed.
The first bowl is out of oak and the same like the black box the size of the bowl is 168mm diameter and 115mm heights.
The other two bowls: the first one is yew, no more sizes because sold. The other one is oak fumed, diameter is 124mm, heights 102mm.

Woodturning I learned mostly from courses mostly english teachers and good (what else?) english books. The first book which impressed me most was the one from the late Tony Boase, Woodturning Masterclass. I bought it 1998, I turned already one year and was impressed what is possible. But I needed 6 years to open my brain for new things. Very often you start with salad bowls and when everybody of your related got a bowl and you get to here: thank you for your present, but would you please take it again back with you. We have already three. So that was the time where I had to think in a new way.
My favourite english woodturners are Ray Key and Marc Hankock.

That is first all.

Thanks again
Andreas

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 11:56:41 AM »
That's some great insights into your turning experiences, Andreas, and please don't apologise for your standard of English - I'm sure that if must of us were even brave enough to attempt to respond in German we'd not half as well as you have done.
The bowl above has had me thinking since you posted it, because it kept reminding me of something, but I just couldn't be sure what that was. It just dawned on me.....it reminds me of a smoker's briar-pipe bowl.
One question for you; what do you use to stain the oak black?

Les  (gwyntog)
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

pickhanhaken

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 12:09:24 PM »
Hello Les,

thank you for your praise and the support about my pigeon english, I learned in Botswana.
To your question: I use Chestnut Black. It is for me one of the best steam on the market, because it is with spirit (so I can drink it ;D)
no because it is drying in a fantastic time.

Greetings
Andreas

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
Hi Andreas
This is the type of bowl I like, nice shape and texturing - well done
Ken

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 07:17:59 PM »
Andreas,

Making one (something) like this has just gone into my 'to do queue (2doQ)' I find it captivating.

Thank you for the further explanation you've provided.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!