Author Topic: Shavings....  (Read 3135 times)

arcos

Shavings....
« on: March 21, 2013, 10:48:41 AM »
Just been having a big clean up and have quite a bit of dust/shavings bagged up.

I had a thought....  I don't get too many so bear with me :-[

Would it be possible to reconstitute the shavings with PVA glue or similar, compress and then, once dried, turn into something 'interesting'?

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: Shavings....
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 11:17:38 AM »
Basically if you did that you would be turning chipboard. 
Regards
John BHT

arcos

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 11:59:12 AM »
 :-[ Ah right...

Thanks John

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 12:06:45 PM »
The only other thing I've ever seen donr with shavings is to put them through a compressing machine and make wood pellets for burning.

But the machine is many £000's and only viable in an industrial stiuation.

As long as you've not used any dangerous/poisonous woods (yew/laburnum etc) I normally find people with small animals like the stuff as bedding for them.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 12:26:39 PM »

My suggestion is where I get rid of mine, local alotment always want them for the compost heAP, they rot down quickly and put back some barbon and nourishment.

Used as bedding for pets is fine as long as there is no dust amongst it as animals have lungs that damage the same as we do.

Cheers Martin
Martin Lawrence

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »
I discovered, to my own cost, that laburnum shavings can be used as a weed... or lawn... killer. Don't know if it looses this ability during its journey through the compost heap!
I think I've told this story before but it might be worth a repeat, so here goes...
During an interview for a magazine article a well known pro, who shall remain nameless unless he chooses to own up,told me that he started a sideline in smoked cheese for a local deli. Applewood shavings gave a fruity taste, oak a flavour of the countryside and pine an interesting dettol-like aroma.
Byeeee
Brian

woody

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
I always dug mine in the garden it is good for breaking clay soil up after a few years it made a lot of difference to the soil texture from as hard as nails to very soft it breaks down so fast there is soon room for the next batch

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 08:27:23 PM »
One thing I've done in the past is to burn them in our multi-fuel stove. It can help to pack it into paper bags or folded up tightly in a piece of newspaper....saves a lot of dust indoors!
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.