Author Topic: Spalted Beech Hollow form  (Read 10845 times)

Mark Sanger

Re: Spalted Beech Hollow form
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 08:26:41 PM »

Hi Pete

Make sure you, it is a good system for the money. Come when George isn't on the stand then you will get the correct info on how to use it.  :D

I have the privilege of a whole day in London with George coming up in a couple of weeks LOL. I'll get his definition of 'correct' then I'm sure LOL

Pete

Privilege,  :D after half an hour with George you will be screaming for them to take you to the Tower. :)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 08:41:04 PM »
Mark,

This piece does sit a little uncomfortably in the eye, but as your work very often tries to challenge our pre-conceived ideas I'm quite happy with that (or learning to be!)

I know that sometimes you turn a piece that is actually designed to be viewed from just on direction, but you've photographed this head on the the exposed rings, is this one of those turnings or just deliberate photography?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 08:53:14 PM »
Hi Mark,
Lovely form again, I also like the oil finish on spalted beech. The rustic yew vase I've just posted has had 6 coats of danish oil and I think it gives a much nicer natural finish than using sanding sealer and waxes etc. on this type of project.Look forward to seeing you in Yandles next Saturday.
Roderick
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 12:02:01 PM »
Mark,

This piece does sit a little uncomfortably in the eye, but as your work very often tries to challenge our pre-conceived ideas I'm quite happy with that (or learning to be!)

I know that sometimes you turn a piece that is actually designed to be viewed from just on direction, but you've photographed this head on the the exposed rings, is this one of those turnings or just deliberate photography?

Hi Bryan

It would indeed sit uncomfortable in the eye,  :) but I know what you meant.

No not made to challenge or photographed with any particular intention in mind, just a piece made and shown. From the comment some like the form some prefer different this is just how it is.

Roderick

Thank you very much. I will take a look at your vase. i am using oil finish more and more as it is so easy to apply and quick.

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 07:43:51 PM »
Hi Mark. I'll be at Yandles on Saturday. Will stop amd say hello. I have the Sorby articulated system. Have you used that for wet work and if so how does it compare? I'll be doing some wet hollow forms in apple next week when I finish what I'm doing at the moment. Any advice. Malcolm.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 03:25:14 AM »
Hi Mark. I'll be at Yandles on Saturday. Will stop amd say hello. I have the Sorby articulated system. Have you used that for wet work and if so how does it compare? I'll be doing some wet hollow forms in apple next week when I finish what I'm doing at the moment. Any advice. Malcolm.

Hi

look forward to meeting up. The Sorbey new hollower is fine for deep enclosed forms and cuts well. Unfortunately due to the bulk of the head/links and respective articulation you will find it has its limits when turning steep undercuts. Fine as a deep vessel push pull system but I can not say it is a true hollowing tool, but then people will say as I am sponsored by Crown that I am biased. I just say the proof is in the pudding.

For wet wood it works well.