General Category > General Discussion

Turning Acrylics?

<< < (2/4) > >>

arcos:

--- Quote from: Paul Hannaby on March 31, 2013, 01:36:11 PM ---Acrylic is horrible stuff, smells bad, the shavings stick to everything, it melts if you overheat it and it chips and cracks if you abuse it. If you can cope with all that, have a go but my preference (in case you haven't already guessed!) is to stick to wood  ;)

If you do go over to the dark side, try T cut as the final polish.

--- End quote ---

Yep, I think I got that acrylic is perhaps not your favorite Paul!

I can hear the "dark side" calling though, just to have a go!

Thanks for the tip re T Cut... Will definitely give that a try

woody:
Yes acrylic is a bit more difficult to turn but it is just a different discipline to learn and have fun with I have made hundreds of acrylic pens and yes it can be a pain  sticking to everything but as long as you take your time it can be fun, drilling and sanding is best done slowly and it dose take that bit longer to finish but you can produce some fantastic results and they sell better than wooden pens at times
So just give it a go you will either love it or hate it but you wont know unless you try and you will always wonder satisfy the desire happy turning

arcos:
Thanks woody!

It is certainly something I am going to have a crack at this coming week...

Will post the results, good or bad, for everyone to see!

George Watkins:
this is like saying that all woodturners only make stair spindles or chair legs  ::)

there are dozens of types of resin... some do stink but some also have no odour... some are brittle but some are'nt

please dont tar all "acrylic" with the same brush

--- Quote from: Paul Hannaby on March 31, 2013, 01:36:11 PM ---Acrylic is horrible stuff, smells bad, the shavings stick to everything, it melts if you overheat it and it chips and cracks if you abuse it. If you can cope with all that, have a go but my preference (in case you haven't already guessed!) is to stick to wood  ;)

If you do go over to the dark side, try T cut as the final polish.

--- End quote ---

thebowlerhattedturner:
arcos,
        with a little bit of practice you will find acrylic easier to turn than wood. It has no grain(normally) so you can get away with the odd turn up hill. You can cut it just like wood and something you may like to try is scraping it. Be gentle with it and take your time,give the tools enough time to do their work. Abrade to 600G and then use a cutting compound like "T" cut or burnishing cream. Wear protective glasses or face shield as if you get a splinter they fly readily and are very sharp. Stop the lathe to clear the shavings from the chuck etc.
Regards
John BHT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version