General Category > General Discussion

Foot or no Foot.

(1/4) > >>

ken rodgers:
Hi All,
I was wondering what your views are on a bowl or vase requiring a foot
AT our club a couple of years ago a demonstrator(RPT) judging  members work insisted that bowls need a foot, and judged accordingly.
That is fine  - its his opinion - but is there any such rule ?
/

Bryan Milham:
No rule I know of. It all comes down to aesthetics and what looks right.

However if it's to be a functional item it definitely needs a big enough base (foot) to be stable in use.

Roderick Evans:
Hi Ken
It looks as if my vase has kicked off this discussion. It's not really a" foot " it's just the bottom of the curve of the vase. The base has been undercut and the  vase does indeed sit on the outer circumferance. If youd like to see the base I can post a photo. I personally like vases and hollow forms without a foot.
Roderick

julcle:
I usually try to convert the chucking point into the base of the piece, I haven't progressed to vases as yet but as said already if it looks right it usually is. This is the bottom of one of my bowl/ dishes made some time ago. it is nice and stable on the table and to my mind doesn't look out of place either.

BrianH:
WHY, oh why do we all try to find... or invent!... hard and fast rules for woodyturning? Its your hobby so you make it up to your own requirements. Who has the right to say someone turning wet chipboard with a sharpened spoon and sanding it with half a brick is wrong? Certainly not me cos my spoon is invariably blunt ;D.
While I am on my Easter rant.... the word 'cheating' has no place in a woodyturners vocabulary...I know that for a fact because I wrote the rulebook!!!!
Tarra
Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version