General Category > General Discussion

Foot or no Foot.

<< < (3/4) > >>

Mark Sanger:

--- Quote from: ken rodgers on March 31, 2013, 11:23:14 PM ---Hi All,
I was wondering what your views are on a bowl or vase requiring a foot
AT our club a couple of years ago a demonstrator(RPT) judging  members work insisted that bowls need a foot, and judged accordingly.
That is fine  - its his opinion - but is there any such rule ?
/

--- End quote ---

Hi Ken

I had written a rant in relation to the (RPT) demonstrator and his statement. Yes it is his opinion and as such has no place during judging, one of the reasons I do not believe in competitions as very few people judge them objectively and as such they can divert the way people think about their work and restrict development.

I decided to remove my rant as it was not constructive.

There are no rules other than being safe. Yes there are a few formula for design that have been used for centuries and you may decide to use these as they are a good foundation to study.

thebowlerhattedturner:
I wish I had read Mark's rant because this reminded me that years ago in another club we had an RPT who did the club judging and I used to make things with the details that would get me a higher score with him,but in actual fact all that happened was it restricted my own ideas.
As an RPT now, I am very careful when asked to judge a club competition. I usually say what I am looking for in a piece. If there is detail that is meant to be crisp I look at the crispness,I look for tooling marks and finish among other things until eventually I look at the shape/style/design.I have to say that the piece I normally choose is the piece I like the most.
Regards
John BHT

Mark Sanger:

--- Quote from: thebowlerhattedturner on April 04, 2013, 09:19:02 AM ---I wish I had read Mark's rant because this reminded me that years ago in another club we had an RPT who did the club judging and I used to make things with the details that would get me a higher score with him,but in actual fact all that happened was it restricted my own ideas.
As an RPT now, I am very careful when asked to judge a club competition. I usually say what I am looking for in a piece. If there is detail that is meant to be crisp I look at the crispness,I look for tooling marks and finish among other things until eventually I look at the shape/style/design.I have to say that the piece I normally choose is the piece I like the most.
Regards
John BHT

--- End quote ---

:) Some things are left said through our work as it can take a lot of energy which is better channeled in producing new fresh ideas. Come and see me at Yandles and we can discuss both our thoughts. :)

woodndesign:

--- Quote from: Mark Sanger on April 04, 2013, 07:33:18 AM ---
AT our club a couple of years ago a demonstrator(RPT) judging  members work insisted that bowls need a foot, and judged accordingly.
That is fine  - its his opinion - but is there any such rule ?
/

--- End quote ---

Hi Ken

I had written a rant in relation to the (RPT) demonstrator and his statement. Yes it is his opinion and as such has no place during judging, one of the reasons I do not believe in competitions as very few people judge them objectively and as such they can divert the way people think about their work and restrict development.

There are no rules other than being safe. Yes there are a few formula for design that have been used for centuries and you may decide to use these as they are a good foundation to study.

--- End quote ---

Mark, you're spot on in your comment ... I've seen clubs where members judge just like that .. even to the point that the nod is that's J bloggs piece ...  as he must have 1st ... no one should know as to who's piece any of them are, BUT ..

Competitions can be good for the livelihood of a Club or Event .. which is where John BHT rightly looks at judging the competition on the piece and it's merits ... But then few at times enter them or vote even, due more to how they should judge ... It's like the many who don't comment on a piece posted on here.

Cheers   David

Mark Sanger:

--- Quote from: woodndesign on April 04, 2013, 10:56:54 AM ---
--- Quote from: Mark Sanger on April 04, 2013, 07:33:18 AM ---
AT our club a couple of years ago a demonstrator(RPT) judging  members work insisted that bowls need a foot, and judged accordingly.
That is fine  - its his opinion - but is there any such rule ?
/

--- End quote ---

Hi Ken

--- End quote ---

Mark, you're spot on in your comment ... I've seen clubs where members judge just like that .. even to the point that the nod is that's J bloggs piece ...  as he must have 1st ... no one should know as to who's piece any of them are, BUT ..

Competitions can be good for the livelihood of a Club or Event .. which is where John BHT rightly looks at judging the competition on the piece and it's merits ... But then few at times enter them or vote even, due more to how they should judge ... It's like the many who don't comment on a piece posted on here.

Cheers   David

--- End quote ---

Hi David

The main issue for me is that how can I or anyone judge a piece made by someone else if they;

Don't know how long the person has been turning for and what they intended with a piece.

This is also one of the reasons I personally find it difficult to comment on work at times in forums as just because I believe something should be done in a specific way, it does not mean I am correct and I am mindful that any comments I may give could be seen as negative and may therefore have a negative effect on the person who has made the piece.

Also who am I to say how people should do stuff.

I have seen too much of this in woodturning and the effects it has on people, and the craft as a whole which has suffered greatly due to those that rebuke change, this being one of the reasons I am slowly moving into sculptural work. Part of a natural transition also. 

Many I think don't comment on pieces in forums as when they do give their thoughts the people asking for critique get upset and defensive, so there is little point unless we are going to give positive comments.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version