Author Topic: Square bowl - reworked  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Square bowl - reworked
« on: April 05, 2013, 03:35:01 PM »
This is the mahogany square bowl that I turned a couple of weeks ago. Thanks to all those members who posted comments about it. I decided to heed the advise regarding the wall thickness and re-mounted it on the lathe today, to skim the face off and even-up the thickness. I was quite surprised by just how much I had gained in confidence since I turned it and how much easier it seemed this time.

I planned to reverse-mount it and skim out the mounting for the chuck, so that the underside is a little more attractive, but my soft-jaws-chuck isn't quite deep enough to 'catch' the edge safely and the thought of that flying off the lathe at speed was too much to bear. So, until I can make some jaw extensions, it'll have to do!
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Square bowl - reworked
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 05:34:21 PM »
You were very fortunate that you were able to get it well centred after a couple of weeks. Even 'dry' wood can move enough to throw it off a bit. Looks really good now

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 07:42:47 PM »
Congratulations on the increase in your confidence, it shows in the refinished bowl.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 08:09:23 PM »
That is so well done 10 out of 10
you dont need jaws to reverse a bowl make a disk to fit your chuck of the required size to fit in the bowl  round of the edges and cover it with several layers of toweling and staple them all around the edge place your bowl over it bring up the tailstock and remove the chucking recess / spigot  and save for next time

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
Cheers guys.
Woody....good tip, I'll try that.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.