General Category > General Discussion

Lathe Height

<< < (3/4) > >>

Bryan Milham:

--- Quote from: afrancis on April 10, 2013, 11:11:30 AM ---The tailstock MUST be exactly at elbow height so that if you forget to take out the live centre it catches you right on the funny bone.

--- End quote ---

Well that's confirmed mine is set right then!

thebowlerhattedturner:
When you think about it this is a very complex problem. Obviously you have to consider your stance as ravenge has said about his bad back. With Paul H and his height a low lathe would really cause problems. I quite like tucking a chisel under my arm for hollowing but could do with the lathe higher for general work.Depending on your lathe height and your height your chisel grinds may vary too.Also, in the winter I tend to keep more shavings on the floor than I should(I know,I know, I'm the H&S guy and should know better but this is a fact of life that I keep more shavings on the floor to keep my feet warm)and the extra layer of shavings will affect your lathe height too. There can't be many turners who stand upright to turn, I am a leaner, I always have to lean against the machine as that is how I am comfortable.
       I'm glad I'm not the only one to rattle my funny bone on the tailstock and it certainly isn't funny!
Paul D the best advice I can give you is work comfortably, try not to stoop and turn with your knees slightly flexed, do not stay in one position on the lathe all day long as that is not good for you,if I have a long monotonous job I move my sharpening system so that I walk about in the workshop to ease the joints a bit.
Hope this helps
Regards
John BHT

Paul Disdle:
Thank you all for your responses. I  am 6 foot with a bad back already. My lathe is set a higher than spindle/elbow config as this felt comfortable for my back. The original question was born out of watching other turners who for some cuts hold the tool almost locked into their sides for control and stability. This may sound silly but would it be worth me extending the handles of my tools to enable me to do this?

Paul

thebowlerhattedturner:
The short answer is yes, you will find that you have more tool control for less effort with a longer handle, I can't explain it but even though you hold the handle halfway up the balance of a long handle just........feels right.
Regards
John BHT

Bryan Milham:
Do I remember right, up to about 10 years ago some manufacturers sold tools, unhandled and also handled with a choice of normal and long pattern handle?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version