Author Topic: First NE Goblets  (Read 2496 times)

Offline ColWA

• iron
First NE Goblets
« on: April 07, 2013, 01:10:49 AM »
Well, one part & 2 full NE Goblets.
The 2 on the left are Olive & the other is from a branch of Carob.
Captive rings made with DIY tools from old screwdriver & one from Allen Key.
C&C Welcome.

Col

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: First NE Goblets
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 06:20:44 AM »
Hi there Col...this is something that I've not tried yet, as I need to get the confidence levels a little higher first, so I'm in no way qualified to criticise your efforts, but I do like them, especially the bowl of the centre goblet and I can appreciate the work that has gone into all three. The carob wood is attractive stuff - what's it like to turn and is there a good supply out there
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 07:22:13 AM »
Col,

I must have missed your first post, so welcome to the AWGB Forum form Dr4g0nfly, we trust this is the first of many posts you'll make here.

I do like the first two, they have a distinctive grain pattern, have they some spalting in them. The colour of the third is very different as well. Do tell, what are the timbers  and dimensions please.

And if you've noticed we are currently running a 'Home-Made Tools' thread. Would you care to put up a picture of the tools you made for the captive rings?

Bryan.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline ColWA

• iron
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 01:16:03 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.
They are all 16cm tall, the 2 Olive ones are 8cm wide & the carob is 6cm.
Carob trees come up now & again as they are a popular garden tree here, the timber is fairly soft especially the smaller branches.
The Olive is not spalted, that is the natural grain.  In the larger branches & trunk the grain if a heap more pronounced, while the roots turn out more like marble.

Col