General Category > General Discussion

What's Best

(1/3) > >>

woodndesign:

I've concern with the crack that runs in the end of the board which I'd got for a commission, it was the cleanest board there and more than long enough, but from the picture it looks to pass the knot at this moment, which would have been waste, my thoughts if it was not for the time was cut it off, I've wondered for quickness to drill through the end of the crack, as we did to cast iron to stop cracks before welding, I'm considering this would keep the board intact and prevent any further movement which there could be if cut off ..

Bryan Milham:
David,

The time spent thinking and discussing the problem on the forum could be spent cutting the split end off.

But the first question I'd ask is has it just developed or was it always there. i.e. is it going to grow if left.

Quickest answer I can think of, fill with ultra-thin CA so it wick's in and clamp across the sides.

bodrighywood:
If you do use CA glue I'd advise giving it a coat of sealer on both sides first or you are likely to have a permanent stain from the glue.

Pete

thebowlerhattedturner:
IMHO,Ca glue is not as good as people will have you think it is,it dries hard with no give,as wood will always expand and contract eventually the glue line will give way,that is why I do not use it whilst segmenting. You have given us no clue as to the article you are making but I think you have 3 options(if I was doing it anyway).
1. split the board down the crack,just wedge it apart,clean up any bits that prevent it joining back together again and stick it with a good PVA.
2. Plane up either edge,split it with a saw down the crack and join the 2 edges together,again using a good PVA.
Do not use so much glue that it oozes out onto the face of the board and then stains the wood so work clean.
3. Make some butterflies from a contrasting wood and set them in at 90 degrees to the crack.
Hope this helps.
Regards
John
BHT

woodndesign:

Thanks for the replies, it's unknow at this time if the board is still splitting and I'd not want it too, it had two days in the car straight from Yandles woodstore, so to check it it's best just to cut the thing ..

Cheers  David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version