General Category > General Discussion

Then it Stopped

<< < (3/6) > >>

thebowlerhattedturner:
This happened to my bandsaw a while back, Axminster supplied me with a new capacitor but it was a 15 instead of a 16. Apparently they are not that accurate so a point either way does not seem to matter.
regards
John BHT

Bryan Milham:

--- Quote from: thebowlerhattedturner on April 10, 2013, 07:51:42 PM ---This happened to my bandsaw a while back, Axminster supplied me with a new capacitor but it was a 15 instead of a 16. Apparently they are not that accurate so a point either way does not seem to matter.

--- End quote ---

All electronic components are built to a tolerance of ± something. Resistors have a colour band on them to identify just that. It's not unusual for capacitors to be -50% to +90 of their quoted figure.

woodndesign:

--- Quote from: julcle on April 10, 2013, 05:20:36 PM ---Hi David  --  Picture 2 shows that it's 16uF @ 450v you should be able to get one of these off the shelf from a washing machine repair shop. Try to match up the connectors if you can otherwise you will be getting the soldering iron out and putting the old tails onto the new capacitor. This happened to me just before christmas on my Tormek, still for me the machine is 15 odd years old so not a big concern. Best of luck with the repair and as always if you're not sure about electricity leave it to someone that is.

--- End quote ---

Cheers for that, there is or was a shop in town, will check as to what they can offer or piont me in the right direction .. Had the lid off and a look at the cable block, the wires went out of sight under the wires from the motor, but looked as if the block could be released to find just where they went, was hoping to have got it off for a pattern, but it is 16uF.

David

Bryan Milham:
David,

both the capacitor and the motor rating plate quote 16μF so I think we can assume that is the correct value.

But if you want to be sure cut through the flying lead and unbolt the Capacitor body to take with you.

Derwent Woodturning club:
Hi David,
Might be worth trying Maplins at the Orbit centre in Cannock. http://www.maplin.co.uk/motor-run-capacitors-440v-30309
This isn't the cheapest but I believe is local to you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version