General Category > General Discussion

Holly

<< < (2/4) > >>

bodrighywood:
I must admit I have only had small branches before and they were bad enough but as it's free and I have a wood burner who am I to turn down free wood LOL.

Pete

Doug Barratt:
I really like holly great for many things + it will take a thread.

I`ve tried drying it different ways, the best is to quarter saw it but that is quite wasteful & requires large sections. I have some  in bin liners at the moment, it has been drying for about 18 months & so far no signs of splits.
Whatever you try you really need to dry it slowly, I`ve some I`m trying to spalt but as yet it isn`t making good progress.

Cheers.

Doug.

Bryan Milham:
This is getting interesting. I have a log and a half outside about 10" diameter and 15" high.

I turned a natural edge from the other half. One end dried lovely, the other has a few fine hairline cracks - still, it'll be alright to play with and try various things.

But looks like I'd better do something soon with what's standing waiting for me to use.

Mark Sanger:
Holly is a lovely wood.

George has no taste.  :)

It is a problem with cracking as it moves the most tangentially of all native timbers, around 11 %, so it has to be seasoned exceptionally slow, and more often than not cracks.  I would cut it into square stock excluding the pith, seal the ends and leave it somewhere for a few years and forget about it.

Once seasoned it is lovely for boxes and fine work.

bodrighywood:
I was thinking of splitting it around the pith into pieces and using some wet out of curiosity and some to dry. If turned thin will it still split or warp? I should have enough to be able experiment. As it was only cut down two days ago I hopefully have it in time to play around a bit. Interesting to hear some of the thoughts. 

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version