Author Topic: Holly  (Read 6601 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Holly
« on: April 12, 2013, 02:31:27 PM »
Just been offered about 1/2 dozen pieces of holly trunk each about 14" dia x 14" long. Now if I can get it dried without splitting I will be well chuffed. Not had holly this large before. Split, part turn PVA glue....any other ideas?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline malcy

• gold
Re: Holly
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 03:31:41 PM »
Despite what George says, Holly is a lovely wood to turn and if seasoned correctly will be beautifully white. It has liitle or no visible grain but if seasoned incorrectly, will end up with grey marks that looks a bit like uneven staining. It will split unless seasoned and dried slowly or kiln dried correctly. I don't know the correct way to season correctly unfortunately. I too have just acquired some and will cut the logs into 2 inch thick boards and end seal and then dry in PE bags very slowly. I use it alot in segmented turning as it adds a lovely contrast to other wood colours and makes them stand out. Best of luck. Please let me know how you get on. Malcolm.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 03:50:24 PM »
I think it is good for colouring if you can avoid the spliting.

Regards George

Now why aren't I surprised you said that George LOL. It is a lovely pale hard wood so will be great for it if I can keep it intact. Fingers crossed.

Pete

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 04:21:08 PM »

Pete I think it will be busy in London when we go there on Tuesday

More than usual? Just glad I am not driving.

Pete

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 04:34:23 PM »
Cheers guys , that has cheered me up no end!!
Pete, you will struggle to get Holly dry without it splitting, it tends to acquire a lot of radial shakes in it. Good luck.
Regards
John BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 04:45:51 PM »
I must admit I have only had small branches before and they were bad enough but as it's free and I have a wood burner who am I to turn down free wood LOL.

Pete

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 05:21:03 PM »
I really like holly great for many things + it will take a thread.

I`ve tried drying it different ways, the best is to quarter saw it but that is quite wasteful & requires large sections. I have some  in bin liners at the moment, it has been drying for about 18 months & so far no signs of splits.
Whatever you try you really need to dry it slowly, I`ve some I`m trying to spalt but as yet it isn`t making good progress.

Cheers.

Doug.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 07:07:05 PM »
This is getting interesting. I have a log and a half outside about 10" diameter and 15" high.

I turned a natural edge from the other half. One end dried lovely, the other has a few fine hairline cracks - still, it'll be alright to play with and try various things.

But looks like I'd better do something soon with what's standing waiting for me to use.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Mark Sanger

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 07:47:15 PM »
Holly is a lovely wood.

George has no taste.  :)

It is a problem with cracking as it moves the most tangentially of all native timbers, around 11 %, so it has to be seasoned exceptionally slow, and more often than not cracks.  I would cut it into square stock excluding the pith, seal the ends and leave it somewhere for a few years and forget about it.

Once seasoned it is lovely for boxes and fine work.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »
I was thinking of splitting it around the pith into pieces and using some wet out of curiosity and some to dry. If turned thin will it still split or warp? I should have enough to be able experiment. As it was only cut down two days ago I hopefully have it in time to play around a bit. Interesting to hear some of the thoughts. 

Pete

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 08:01:26 PM »

The first and last Holly I had made lovely Mushroom from green, the bark on the underside, so halved through the pith, looked natural with the movement and the branch ends off the truck did beautiful stalks .. think the last remaining one maybe posted ..

Cheers    David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Mark Sanger

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 08:27:43 PM »
I was thinking of splitting it around the pith into pieces and using some wet out of curiosity and some to dry. If turned thin will it still split or warp? I should have enough to be able experiment. As it was only cut down two days ago I hopefully have it in time to play around a bit. Interesting to hear some of the thoughts. 

Pete

Turning Holly thin is generally the best way to turn it. It will certainly warp and shrink parallel to the growth rings. Turn it to around 3 mm and it should be find. Soak it in oil and see what happens..

Have a look at this link, Bill Luce, a master at the thin wall holly bowl. see how beautiful it is. http://www.billluce.com/hollybead.html I am sur eyou are aware of his work, but if not take a look, a master of the highest level.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 08:38:35 PM »
If I can produce something like that Mark I'll be happy. I am going to have to have a go now aren't I LOL. Never know if I don't try

Pete

woody

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 06:20:47 PM »
Sometimes holly can have some unusual markings like this dancing man vase I turned about 10 years ago  
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 06:22:20 PM by woody »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 07:27:57 PM »
Woody, I can see why you kept that one.

I see a stylised 'running man' - what does everyone else see?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!