General Category > General Discussion

Help identifying this timber, please.

(1/5) > >>

Les Symonds:
Amongst the lot of timber that I bought recently, is an 8ft long branch, about 3" to 4" diameter. I cut this piece off one end just to see how it turned, and was surprised that it seemed to turn very easily, certainly easy to get a finish on. I have a suspicion that it's elm, but it's got to be 30 years since I last worked any and I've never worked small branches. As I was turning, there was a distinct smell, and it immediately reminded me of the smell of elm when I last put a piece through the planer.

I turned this just so that I could see what effect the grain gave when cut into concave/convex curves....it's not meant to be anything!

There's a bit of spalting which takes the effect of a dark smudged line running around the junction between the heartwood and sapwood, and this seems to run the whole 8ft length.

Am I right?
Les

bodrighywood:
Laburnum I'd say, the black line is a delineation line you get in laburnum, not spalting. Be careful with it as it is poisonous. A lovely hard wood that can be really well polished.

Pete

Les Symonds:
Excellent....I've just done a search on laburnum and I do believe that you're right....looks like I've got quite a bit of it.
Thanks...Les

bodrighywood:
Lucky you. Keep, it dry mind as the outer sap wood rots very easily if it gets wet. It can go dark and more green once turned as well

Pete

Bryan Milham:

--- Quote from: gwyntog on April 14, 2013, 01:37:34 PM ---Amongst the lot of timber that I bought recently, is an 8ft long branch, about 3" to 4" diameter.

--- End quote ---

Laburnum Apples from the thin end will be order of the day then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version