Author Topic: Open segment vase  (Read 3865 times)

Offline malcy

• gold
Open segment vase
« on: April 15, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »
Here's my latest rendition. It is 265mm (10 inch) high, top rim 190mm (7.5 inches) and base 95mm (3.75 inches). It is made using holly, purple heart and wenge, in all 242 pieces. Hope you like it and as always comments welcome.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Open segment vase
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 07:21:17 PM »
Malcy,

the Black & White open weave effect give it a very Modeern feel (1920's modern, no Idea how to explain it better) the Purpleheart stripes then give it a real lift.

I've said before I'm not a great lover of some segmented work, it can be very 'Lego' looking, but this certainly has a lightness and elegance about it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:27:20 PM »
Hi Malcy

Some segmented work can look very old fashioned but I agree with dr4gOnfly........this has a very modern feel to it and the contrasting timbers work really well together, thumbs up from me!

Regards
Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 09:02:08 PM »
Hi Malcy...I agree with everything said by Brian and Rod....segmented work wouldn't be for me because I'd despise the amount of preparation time that I could otherwise spend playing with the lathe. But, having said that, I'm in awe of the level of commitment that some of you 'segmentation' chaps bring to your work. a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind....
1, how do you keep the side walls of the blocks clean...the bits that you can't get into to sand after glueing up. i imagine that it must be a tedious job cleaning the glue off them as it seeps out of the glue joints.
2, Is there a fourth wood? I can see the holly, the wenge and the purple-heart, but there appears to be a fourth timber in the uppermost ring.

It's an amazing piece of work, thanks for sharing it.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 01:58:38 PM »
It is wonderful to see how others work with wood.

Great piece

Thanks for sharing.

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 07:46:02 PM »
Hi all. Thanks for your supportive comments. I'll try to answer the questions asked. The segments are cut clean from the start. I use a Dewalt compound mitre saw to cut the segments, and then just lightly sand the edges to remove any slivers. If possible I gang cut pieces as this helps eliminate the slivers. The thin wenge segments in this piece were cut this way. When assembling, the adhesive ( 5 minute PVA) is applied as a thin strip along the appropriate edges using an artists fine brush, thus very little sqeeze if any is seen when the segment is pushed into place. If there is excess sqeeze out, this is removed with a damp cotton bud or pipe cleaner, but I rarely have to do this. The completed piece is cut using a half inch or three quarter inch bowl gouge. After sanding, I vacuum the whole to remove the dust and then wipe with a tack cloth before spray acrylic lacquer is applied in a few coats. The key to all this is only put the adhesive where it is needed and not too much, and clean uo the dust as you go. With a good blade and fast blade speed, no edge sanding is usually needed.
There are only three woods used as stated. If you see what you think is another, it is probably down to my picture taking or camera illusion. Hope this helps and thanks again for your comments. Malcolm.

Offline Jim

• bronze
    • Penturners
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 10:14:40 PM »
Very nice Malcy, i love to see segmented work, especially at this level ...  ;)

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 07:51:16 PM »
Your work is immaculate,  the colours of the woods really compliment each other.  Using a pale wood such as holly for your top ring would highlight any joint  less than perfect - you have got that top ring spot on.
This is a real conversation piece and reflects a desire for perfection- love it!
   Haggy

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 08:53:28 PM »
Malcy,
         I echo the comments already made. WELL DONE!!
REGARDS
jOHN bht