General Category > General Discussion

Newbie best way to get rid Of end grain tear Out after Turning A bowl

<< < (6/9) > >>

woodndesign:

Very valid point made early on about the bevel angle grind and cutting edge, which are all important, but to the beginner just as much a mystery as turning itself.

One thing I may just question is the Lathe speed ... just how fast are you turning, to slow and if the cut is heavy you'll get more tear out from a forced cut and this can be compounded by more cuts as the tool will bounce across the surface, it's to restart with a sharp tool and fine cuts to cut away the damage.

Just wondering.

Cheers  David

arcos:
David a question re lathe seed....

Obviously within comfort and safety zones....

Is it better to have as high a speed as possible when encountering tear out to try and reduce this?

woodndesign:

--- Quote from: arcos on April 25, 2013, 11:11:56 AM ---David a question re lathe seed....

Is it better to have as high a speed as possible when encountering tear out to try and reduce this?

--- End quote ---

Safe speed is always a question, in order to explan the best and too all that it involves, I'll use these guideline from Craft Supplies: http://blog.woodturnerscatalog.com/2012/08/safe-wood-lathe-speeds/ ..  credit to Craft Supplies USA.

My question on speed was more as a consideration to help understand if it related to Bill's problem of tear out, we need as many factors as possible to decide as to what could be the cause etc.

Cheers  David

Mark Hancock:

--- Quote from: woodndesign on April 25, 2013, 12:38:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: arcos on April 25, 2013, 11:11:56 AM ---David a question re lathe seed....

--- End quote ---

Safe speed is always a question, in order to explan the best and too all that it involves, I'll use these guideline from Craft Supplies: http://blog.woodturnerscatalog.com/2012/08/safe-wood-lathe-speeds/ ..  credit to Craft Supplies USA.

My question on speed was more as a consideration to help understand if it related to Bill's problem of tear out, we need as many factors as possible to decide as to what could be the cause etc.

Cheers  David

--- End quote ---

Please please be careful of using a formula as shown in the link or a table as often appears in books. There are so many factors involved in setting an appropriate speed that formulae and tables don't take any account of. IMHO they should not be replied upon.

Mark

Nick Arnull:
When teaching I do not like to quote lathe speeds as the most important  point it is to be both comfortable and safe,
If you are encountering tear out on end grain there is generally two reasons a blunt tool or poor tool presentation,I will add a caveat many folks turn at to higher speed and generally a slower speed will produce better results hoever it does require good tool control.
I might also suggest you apply a coat of wax before taking a final cut with a freshly sharpened tool.
I agree with Mark Hancock regarding the use of speed tables as there are far to many variables.
Nick Arnull.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version