Author Topic: Mottled walnut box  (Read 3572 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Mottled walnut box
« on: April 27, 2013, 10:01:51 PM »
This piece of mottled walnut came with the batch of timber that I bought a few weeks ago and had an ancient price tag of £3.60 on it! I was going to put a walnut lid on the box, but the rest of my stock is straight grained and would have looked odd on top of this, so good old sycamore came to the rescue. The bowl is 125mm diam and 45mm high, with the overall height being 80mm.

There's a curious, pinkish aura of light in places, which is nothing to do with the timber in this piece. I think that it must be caused by the glow of the lamp that is lighting up the side of the box.

Comments and criticisms welcome.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Mottled walnut box
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 10:25:15 PM »
Fair comment, George. I tend to feel that a bowl that small wouldn't be likely to sell, so it's best made into something of a higher value....but I don't know the market half as well as you chaps; this is all rather new to me!
Still, glad you like it.
Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 01:10:19 AM »

Les, you'd got a treasure trove of excellent blanks that day, this has beautiful mottling and as a box of a difference it works well, I like your think with the piece if had been a stand alone bowl, this way it has its usage, someone well love it too, I'd find the oddest of thing would sell, then how much with that for price ..

Thank you for sharing.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 08:02:35 AM »
Les,

are you sure that was £3:60 and not 3/6?

Oh what a lovely piece of wood. And I think you are right to put a lid on it, Bowls do sell but I've always noticed that they are hard and can sit around for a long time until someone wants it. As a Nation we don't use wooden bowls the way many others do, for salad at meals and fruit, &c..
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 09:55:33 AM »
Hi Les,
         IMHO I think you were right to put the lid on it, but it should have been the same diameter as the bowl and not "step in " at the join.
A very nice piece of work though.
Regards
John BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 10:15:26 AM »
Beautiful wood, well turned and I like the way the curve of the lid follows the curve of the bowl though I am with John on the step in. I can believe the £3.60 tag. I got a few pieces from a deceased turner a couple of years ago with unbelievable price tags on them. Wood, like everything else has shot up in price.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Mark Sanger

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 05:08:25 PM »
Hi Les,

I really like the shape of this piece, I like it with the lid and as the contrasting handle/knob ties the two together nicely.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 09:52:23 PM »
Hi Les
Nice bowl, like the shape and finish.
My preference would have been without the lid or a lid from the same material
Regards
Ken

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 10:03:30 PM »
Hi folks, and thanks for all the remarks, they're greatly appreciated.

Ken....I accept what you say about the lid, I would have preferred to have made it from the same material as the bowl, but where on earth would you get another piece to match the figuring in  the base. To put a piece of straight-grained walnut on top would, in my opinion, have just looked wrong, so it had to be something contrasting. OK, I could have just left it as a a bowl, but this piece was made to sell, and we all know how much easier it's going to be to sell a lidded box that a small bowl.

Les