Author Topic: Sipo Mahogany texture  (Read 3619 times)

Francesco Dibari

Sipo Mahogany texture
« on: April 20, 2013, 11:24:10 AM »
to give a "bit of movement"  in this dish, I wanted to try to use the texture, just a little bit to give character to an already beautiful wood ; the photo are one of my many problems  :-[

many thanks to all ..  :)

C & C are very welcome   :)

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:46:44 AM by Francesco Dibari »

Mark Sanger

Re: Sipo Mahogany texture
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 01:09:59 PM »
A very nice practical plate turned from a beautiful wood. The texture adds interest without overpowering the piece. Very good finish.

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 03:28:32 PM »
many thanks Mark .. very kind ..  :)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 08:41:08 PM »
Francesco,

I know there are many woods called Mahogany but I've never been lucky enough to find anything like this. That is a stunning piece of Mahogany, very well finished.

The word 'Sipo' does that describe the dish/bowl or is it something about the wood, I don't recognise the word, sorry. And what did you use to apply the texture please.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 10:19:48 PM »
Bryan...I could be wrong, but am prepared to go out on a limb here. I think that sipo mahogany is a newish term for a timber that I always knew as  - utile - which we pronounced you-tilly - back in the seventies. Its characteristic feature was the strongly striped grain which was quite 'reversed' in alternate bands. It was a pig to plane, so tended to lend itself to processes like turning where we're more used to the constant change of direction of the grain.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 10:33:29 PM »
Francesco,

I know there are many woods called Mahogany but I've never been lucky enough to find anything like this. That is a stunning piece of Mahogany, very well finished.

The word 'Sipo' does that describe the dish/bowl or is it something about the wood, I don't recognise the word, sorry. And what did you use to apply the texture please.

Hi dr4g0nfly

as you know there are different qualities of mahogany "Honduras", "Kaya", "Sapele" and others that I can not list ; "Sipo" is a quality of mahogany but I do not know as it is called in the rest of the world , i'm sorry  :-[

what I can say is that you have to sharpen very often the gouge
and the finish needs to be treated, especially as this case with cross vein

the texture was done with the "Sorby Texuring Tool"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTKLkJorTYE

but I have seen good results with homemade tools

nothing special or difficult  :) ..

many thanks for your comments  :)

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:48:07 PM by Francesco Dibari »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 06:14:24 AM »
I can now confirm that sipo mahogany is an African timber and is more commonly known as Utile. It's Latin name is Entandrophragma, whereas true Mahogany is Swietenia for S American, or Khaya for African. The constant rue sharpening is caused by the constantly changing grain direction, which rips readily with less than sharp tools.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 08:33:22 PM »

Francesco,  this is one very bold and striking piece, brilliantly done and different, stunning detail and finish.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''