General Category > General Discussion

Enforced warping?

<< < (2/2)

Mark Sanger:
http://www.nwwoodencanoe.org/steambending.html

Andy Coates:
You can also use a microwave oven. You need one with a low setting and you need to "cook" the piece on low for perhaps 30 seconds. See how hot the wood is...BE CAREFUL NOT TO BURN YOURSELF...if still cool set a little longer Etc. When you find a cycle length that makes the wood hot repeat after cooling. Then allow to cool again. Then re-cook and so on. Leave the oven door open each time to allow the steam to escape.

The wood will warp after a few cycles but you run the risk of cracking...but then as in this piece I made some years ago that was the intention. The piece is Holly.

Bryan Milham:
Andy,

That Is Amazing...

arcos:
Thanks to everyone for comments and links.

Andy, that piece is stunning!

I am guessing how you turned this and may borrow the idea on a dry piece of Acacia that I have laying around if thats ok?

woodndesign:

Andy, for a minute there looking at the thumb pic it could have been a bleached Banksia Nut ...   ;D .. as if anyone would waste the time ..  :o .. it did go a bit far.

I was given to mic a piece using Defrost, 30 seconds after every minutes rest till dry .. think it worked well, oh an to stand the piece on kitchen paper, absorbs the water which can boil out, but not to catch on fire...  Mic can smell a bit afterwards, so best to have your own cheap one ..  ;) ..

Cheers    David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version