General Category > General Discussion

Speed ....

<< < (2/2)

woodndesign:

Thank you all so far, for some we have pe-sets with 3, 4, 5 and more in range change speeds, more turners today have VS and wider ranges, even then some do and some don't have a speed display or only read correctly in one range so it can come down to guesswork on speed.

It's down to just safe and comfortable.

Cheers

arcos:
Thanks David

I think that this is a great thread.

I stick with what I feel comfortable with, particularly when roughing!

1500rpm - 2000rpm is about the max I feel comfortable with ONCE I have a rounded, balanced piece.

For applying a finish I occasionally go higher but thats it

Eric Harvey:
I personaly turn the lathe speed down as far as it will go,on my old lathe that was 500rpm and to fast for alot of big old lumps of out of shape wood,on the new one I`ll turn it down to 50rpm until I think its safe to turn the revs up,ie; when its round enough not to be to out of balance,and when turning bowl,I nevr turn up much over 600rpm,or lower if its a big one,spindle work if its balanced I`ll start at 1500rpm going up to 3000rpm depending on the thickness and length,the thicker or longer they are,means slowing right down.for miniature spindle work its 3000-3200rpm then you can finnish straight off the skew chisel with no sanding,just my personal way of doing it,its what you feel safest doing that counts,regards,

Eric.

thebowlerhattedturner:
I suppose as the H&S rep I should comment. Lathe speed, in my opinion,should be the speed that you are comfortable with and is safe. That comfort and safety is brought about by knowledge and experience.(and common sense) The knowledge is earned by hours on the lathe and the experience is gained minute by minute and mistake by mistake. Once you have gained the knowledge through experience you will become more comfortable with the speeds you choose.
       Always work cautious and think what may happen before you turn on the machine.
Regards
John BHT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version