General Category > General Discussion

Advice before I turn a lump of elm burr

<< < (3/4) > >>

Les Symonds:
Thanks for the link, Richard...I'll Orr a copy today. The inturned rim turned out to be just what I thought that it would be, but I don't think that I'd be able to apply such a shape to a platter....nor that it would be appropriate.

David......it's all burr!.....burrillliant!

Regards....Les

bodrighywood:
This is only 1 1/2" thick and was turned from a piece off an old table top using the hot glue method mentioned earlier. Centre piece is a pewter inlay, outer rim is aluminium powder and CA glue. This is 14" dia. so your elm would work fine by this method

David Buskell:
You guys should have been at Woodworks -  Nigel had some great blanks of elm there for less than £10 and one burr elm piece (the one I bought) left on Sunday. He also had some logs there, some odd shapes but a snip at £30 or so.

The hot glue method does give you a bit of extra depth but you can also get this by cutting a small spigot and using the O'Donnell jaws to hold the work. Bring up the tailstock for support as well!

David

Les Symonds:
Hi David....I'm a bit new to this forum and not yet clued up on the wood-based shows that you guys sometimes refer. What is Woodworks, and who is Nigel? Is there a chance that he'd be at this weekend's show at Newport, as I'm going there?
Les

woodndesign:

--- Quote from: gwyntog on May 17, 2013, 05:39:36 PM ---Hi David....I'm a bit new to this forum and not yet clued up on the wood-based shows that you guys sometimes refer. What is Woodworks, and who is Nigel? Is there a chance that he'd be at this weekend's show at Newport, as I'm going there?
Les

--- End quote ---

It is the Event at Daventry ...  http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,1491.0.html ..

Cheers.

PS ..  I do half a job ...  >:(  .. Nigel ...  http://www.english-hardwoods.com/ ...  He has Burr Elm ... Why didn't I pay better attention at WW@D ... ::) ... Just didn't see everything ..  Next Time ..

Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version