Author Topic: Olive bowl  (Read 3111 times)

arcos

Olive bowl
« on: May 24, 2013, 09:33:01 AM »
Turned this yesterday...

A breakaway from s 'normal' bowl and a skills test to keep wall thickness even and no tool marks on the inside!

Bowl is about 6" at widest and 4.5" high finished with a good soaking of olive oil and then two coats of beeswax/oil soft paste.

The wood was pretty cracked and these have been filled with coffee grind and olive dust.

C&C please

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: Olive bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 11:52:31 AM »
Hello arcos,
                well done for moving outside of your comfort zone, if we don't try these things we never improve. Although the shape does not appeal to me personally I can see the time and effort that you have put in is paying off. The quality of this piece is far better than your earlier work,so a pat on the back for that................however, I can see on the foot little dimples caused by your chuck jaws as you made it and this for me spoils an otherwise very nice piece.
 I think the finish is very good and there are no visible tooling marks so all in all well done.
Regards
John BHT

arcos

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 12:20:44 PM »
Thanks John for your comments.

Those chuck dimples I hadn't even really noticed when looking at the piece, they certainly show up far more in the photo!

Will remedy that immediately!

The shape was more of a challenge in turning the inside walls at an angle to maintain the same thickness throughout the bowl and turning something completely different to my 'standard' shaped bowl. Nope, the shape isn't to everyones taste, I kind of like it and its growing on me, but if everyone liked the same thing then it would be pretty boring eh!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 01:01:27 PM »
Arcos,

Are you recovered from your illness now, it's good to have you back posting your work again.

Saving your timber by filling the cracks, you are coming on well.

Like John, I thing the shape is a little off, but if you look at it with the foot covered it looks a lot better. Maybe reversing the bowl and totally removing the foot would be an idea.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

arcos

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 01:12:35 PM »
Thanks dr4g0nfly. Yes I am more or less recovered now, still not 100% but back at the lathe so can't be too bad!

I certainly spent a lot of time on this piece as I wanted to get as close to perfection as possible (for me at least).

Hmmm removing the foot.... Something I had considered and had decided not to do (I hate reversing!!!!)... I think as it works, for me at least, I will just clean the foot up as John suggested and leave it.

Perhaps a little more practice on reversing less 'expensive' bowls would be a good idea.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 03:05:44 PM »

Hi Acros, trust your fully fit at this time .. and it's good to see your turning ..  ;D .. out a really nice piece here, you've done well, and have kept a 3rds (Golden) rule in design.. 2/3rds over a lower 1/3rd .. could even work the other way up/round or down .. the foot works, but for the tidy up, you're thinking well on this to have used your chuck mount in the form, it's just to get the right diameter to match or use some Kitchen roll as protection ... all power to the learning curve ..  Now that would hold one large candle.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 06:34:46 PM »
Hi again arcos, how to reverse chuck without your heart ending up in your mouth...........or your eye looking out of your ear  :D
Mount a board or offcut to a faceplate. Turn a tenon to the right size so that with a gentle thump it engages in the hole of the bowl and the rim sits against the shoulder of the tenon.If it is to loose pad it out with a paper towel or use masking tape.Bring up the tailstock for support and turn the lathe speed down a bit. Turn as normal and if removing the foot turn it to a cone shape as thin as you dare.Then just nip off the bit left in the middle and sand. In time you will gain confidence to do this as a second nature.
  You could use a friction plate to achieve the same thing but with your level of experience I would not recommend that at the moment.
regards
John BHT

arcos

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 09:00:31 AM »
Thanks John, thank you for the instruction on reversing. I will definitely have a crack at this. I have done something similar on a small bowl using a thick plastic tube cut short and then covered with kitchen roll to fit the bowl. It was ok but not ideal as it took a LOT of adjustments to make it turn fairly straight.

I am going to make a group of small footless tea light holders this weekend and will definitely give your method a go.

Nearly back to 'normal' David thanks.  :-\