General Category > General Discussion

Bad vibrations.

<< < (3/4) > >>

Les Symonds:
Hi all....I'm getting there! Armed with the confidence that you lot know what you're talking about, I decided to set about my lathe with a hammer and a brass drift-rod, and was more than a little surprised at just how soon it was in a (well ordered) little pile of pieces.

The most reassuring bit was confirming that it most definitely is the main bearing at fault. Not only does it have a general grumble when it's turned by hand, but also, there is a distinct click on one spot - and that's under no-load and turning at about 60rpm.

I've just contacted Derek Pyatt at Pyatt Woodworking (thanks for the lead, John) and hopefully, he'll have the parts. Whilst the smaller bearing and the poly-vee belt seem to be ok, I'll change the whole lot whilst it's in bits.

My biggest problem at the moment is that whilst the smaller bearing is now off the shaft, the main bearing is reluctant to come off it.

BRYAN....I know next to nothing about bearings, especially what it is that a phosphor bronze bearing looks like, but this main bearing looks just like any other bearing that I recall having handled in the past, and there isn't anything adjustable about it, so I guess that the Major and the Number 1 must have different assemblies.

Meanwhile.....I might just take up knitting for a few days.

Cheers guys....Les

John D Smith:
Hi Les, I am glad you seem to have got to the bottom of the problem I am not clear about your explanation of the other bearing (main bearing) it seems to me this is another sealed for life roller/ball bearing am I correct and there isn't a phosphor bronze bearing???

Regards John 

Les Symonds:
Hi John....I didn't know what I'd find, but Bryan believed that there would be an adjustable phosphor bronze bearing in there, IF it was the same as the old coronet major. What I found was that both bearings - the main one at the inboard end and the lesser one at the outboard end - appear to be ordinary roller/ball bearing races.....just as I've occasionally seen in a car or trailer wheel bearing.

Les

Bryan Milham:
Les,

Yep, sounds like I was wrong in my guess as to what you'd find.

As for them looking like the sort of bearing used as wheel bearings - right first time, that's just what Vicmarc use. A wheel bearing from the Holden (an Aussie GM brand) - well spotted.

Les Symonds:

--- Quote from: dr4g0nfly on June 05, 2013, 08:47:48 PM ---
As for them looking like the sort of bearing used as wheel bearings - right first time, that's just what Vicmarc use. A wheel bearing from the Holden (an Aussie GM brand) - well spotted.

--- End quote ---
Right-on Bryan....and that Crazy Canadian guy on YouTube who turned a drive shaft and hub of his 4x4 into a lathe obviously knew what he was doing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4qB6n1cm04

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version