General Category > General Discussion

Spalted wood as chopping boards/serving boards

(1/5) > >>

homeofwood:
Hi Guys...

Would like some feedback from turners....

Is spalted wood safe to use as chopping / serving boards ? I know that some like the look and say its safe to use and some say its not. I have had a few customers use spalted beech and say its fine...

Many people have different opinions on this so please fire away

Would appreciate any comments you may have...

Paul

bodrighywood:
Personally I would avoid using spalted wood for most food items and as the spalted part is usually a lot softer I would certainly avoid using it for something that will take as much abuse as a chopping board. A lot of people may say that woods that are spalted are OK but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Pete

john taylor:
Personally no especially if I was selling or giving the item away.

The reason is that I have seen the spalting starting up again 5 years after the piece was made due to the finish getting scratched and damp getting in.   The piece was bone dry when made.

john

woody:
Personally I would never use it for a shopping board the spalting it produced by a fungus that releases spaws when cut (which will happen on a chopping board) and they will effect anyone with breathing problems as well as some who don't as I found out the first time I used it

also legally were would you stand if you made one for a customer and they suffered ill effects from if  

homeofwood:
The fungus is what ive been telling people about... and advise not to use it for boards....

Just asked this question as ive had 3 people in the last few weeks asking if they can make chopping boards from spalted wood... its good to hear your thoughts as i have more to tell customers in the future..

Please keep your comments coming :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version