General Category > General Discussion

Managing your customers expectations.

<< < (6/6)

Paul Hannaby:

--- Quote from: dr4g0nfly on July 08, 2013, 08:50:22 AM ---When selling face-to-face what methods do you have for proving your price is ‘Fair and Reasonable’? ;D

--- End quote ---

Going back to the original question - my answer is you don't have to prove anything. How many retailers do you interrogate about the fairness of their prices? So why should we be any different?

I think in all the years I have been selling, the only people I ever got into a discussion with about prices were other woodturners! The buying public either buy or they don't so my approach is to set a price that I'm happy with. I doubt if I get it right every time but hopefully I learn from my mistakes.

Les Symonds:

--- Quote from: Richard Findley on July 14, 2013, 11:14:08 PM --- Think how frustrating it is to use a poor website. What do you look for when buying a product, you only have to think about the last time you bought a tool, machine or bowl blank for example.
Richard

--- End quote ---
Hi Richard...I couldn't agree with you more. I was looking through the AWGB web-site and found a thread started by someone trying to sell timber to us - via ebay.They gave us their trading name and assured us that we wouldn't be disappointed, but when I checked out their sellers' account, all that they had for offer was a single lot of 4 pond-snails. I remarked upon this in the thread on our Facebook site and they replied to say that they were sorry, but would have some timber for sale soon, but it is now 2 months since they started the thread!
Not daunted by this, they gave me another account/sellers name that they trade under and suggested that there would be good timber on sale there, but once again, there was nothing for sale. What does this say about the trader? In a word, I think that they are 'Unreliable' and I therefore won't bother to check them out ever again.
It's such a shame that people with a product to sell let themselves down like this.
Les

Mark Sanger:

--- Quote from: Richard Findley on July 14, 2013, 11:14:08 PM ---A very interesting discussion, and it has lead me down a couple of thought paths:

My other train of thought comes from the comment that 'the future of turning is with the hobbyist'. I think it could well be. The main problem is that there isn't that many people like me about, and there doesn't need to be, but if you look at the artistic side of things, a professional turner that as to feed a family can not spend 5 weeks making an item and then wait another 5 years for it to possibly sell. Only a hobbyist can spend time like this and not worry if it will sell or not. You read of these guys in the magazine who make these amazing things and they may well sell some of them, but you're not telling me they can living from the income!! Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Just some thoughts

Richard

--- End quote ---

Oh I don't know Richard, It is nice getting a sensible return for pieces and it sure beats working for a living.  :)

The lifestyle is chilled, loads of coffee breaks and busman's holidays to places I could not afford to go are a privilege to take part in.  :)

Demonstrating, teaching and writing is a bonus. It all depends which way you want to go in life, I have been on the treadmill with the stress that goes with it, blow that.

Creative for me is the future, be it hobbyist or full time it matters not, the quality of work does.

As Paul said and on thinking about it, for me too the only people I have conversations about cost/price are other wood turners. One thing I have learnt is price low and you attract those that don;t want to spend much money, price for what it is worth and those with disposable income will pay quite happily.

:) :)

Looking forward to carrying this on over a few pints  :)

Richard Findley:
Hi Mark

It wasn't you I was referring to when I talked about artistic turners. You are basically a production turner, albeit one that is in denial!!  ;) ok you're not Glenn Lucas and you are never going to be a production spindle turner (I've seen your spindle turning remember!!  ;) ) but in many ways, how you work and the methodology you use is essentially that of a production turner.

You make your noodle bowls, which are what you might call your bread and butter. I bet you don't make them one at a time, taking a couple of hours each like a hobbyist would. You employ production techniques to make the process as quick and efficient as possible.

Even with your artistic work (I'm not going to insult you by suggesting you bang them out willy nilly, but...) you are very efficient and certainly with your signature pieces with those little finials, you have the production down to a fine art.

None of this takes away from your talent as an artist. It just shows that you have a deep understanding of timber, how it should be worked, the tools and their geometry and the best and most efficient way to combine these to produce an item. You also have the vision to produce really high quality artistic work and have researched your market and know how to use this information to your advantage.

So I say again, that apart from the amount of coffee breaks you take, you are basically a production turner, and certainly don't fall into my previous sweeping statement.

I rest my case  :D

Richard

Mark Sanger:
Hi Richard

I am glad I did not offend as I was taking the pxxx.  However after earlier reading your reply I have just come back from my first counselling session ref production turning.  :) :)

Joking aside and managing customers expectations is very complex, I know galleries take a fare whack of the retail price, but this is one of the things I am happy with as a good gallery or outlet will manage the customers for you.

Here is a link to a chap that I find very useful and you all may too. http://creativebusinessstrategies.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/what-am-i-worth.html

he has many great articles and seeing this is what he does then it is far better to explore his ideas than listen to me.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version