General Category > General Discussion

What do you do with your waste?

(1/3) > >>

vyvsdad:
I'm sure this has been discussed already, but I'll plough on regardless.

After a bit of a break from turning I now find my self doing loads, and the waste is piling up around me. Three black bin bags full yesterday alone.
So my question is this: what is the best way of disposing of it? large waste from the bandsaw is easy-firewood, but what about the shavings? I have just been chucking it in the bin, but there must be a better way of disposing it.

What do you guys do?

davidbrac:
l have a few methods
1. give to people with rabbits, but they dont want much and ask for no yew
2. use as paths on my allotment
3. burn in my workshop stove - needs to be dry wood

Terry Miller:
If you know anyone who has chickens or even farmers will take it off you!!

bodrighywood:
I used to sue it for the chickens and garden paths but now as I have neither I put it on the fire from the furniture factory next door. Scrap wood? No such thing in my workshop LOL

Pete

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
hi Dan,
          I give my shavings to the Vicar 3 doors up, no idea what he does with it though,I have a local lady with a wood burner and she takes all of the offcuts and the logs that are beyond use that I gathered with all good intentions. The sawdust from the bandsaw I take to the garage and they use it for soaking up oil spills. I have yet to find a use for discarded abrasive so if anyone has any suggestions... I am thinking of building a smoker to utilise the Oak shavings if I can be bothered to collect them separately I sometimes put a layer in the compost bin but they take ages to break down.
Regards
John BHT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version