General Category > General Discussion

So what am I doing wrong?

(1/5) > >>

Katchin:
pictures say it all, as far as I can tell my chisels are as sharp as I can get them

Andy Coates:
Actually nothing, John. The wood you're using is spalted beech, which is beech that has suffered fungal attack. When allowed to spalt too far the spalt causes "punky" areas where the integrity of the grain structure has been weakened, and you get these areas of "pull out".

Tools as "sharp as" you "can get them" aren't necessarily sharp enough, so don't always assume that's not the problem.

As for the spalty wood, there are a few things you can do to make a cleaner cut possible.

Soak the bowl in cellulose sealer and allow to dry. You can do a few coats if you wish. Now with a freshly ground tool take a light and continuous (if possible) cut, and you should find the surface is much improved.

Next time try a better piece of wood!

Katchin:
ok, will try the sealer, thanks. I actually wanted the spalted effect, thats why I was using this wood :)

BrianH:
Risking telling Granny how to suck eggs but..............
Whatever you do, John, don't fall into the tempting trap of trying to sand away the problem cos the weaker, softer areas of spalting will disappear quicker than me when the rent's due!!!!
Brian

Katchin:
good to know, thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version