General Category > General Discussion

Inspiration

(1/3) > >>

John:
Hi,
Am having an inspiration drought at the moment, I have only turned one item in the last couple of months. I go into the workshop and the brain fades, I put a blank on the lathe, (spindle) rough it to a cylinder, have a practice turning beads, coves etc. Then nothing, no idea what to do next! I see such great things on the forum, have an idea then it all fades. I think I will shut the workshop for while and concentrate on the allotment.
John

woodndesign:

John, don't feel alone when it comes to inspiration, it could be more a mind full of ideas, but with me as much the time and which to start first, the allotment may throw up some forms, should it remain dry.

Having 3rd heavy lightning/thunder storm over Cannock and the Chase at the moment.. flood weather.

Settle into a good book.

Cheers   David

Andy Coates:
Go to google and select the IMAGE tab.

Type in anything...wooden objects, vase, bowl, wall art, texture, shape, form....ETC

And when something appeals copy the image. Look at it a lot. And I promise you'll soon be off on your way brimming with ideas.

You can take the same approach with the world around you. Only you can't pinch the image so easily.

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Hello John,
               we all struggle at some time for inspiration, I seem to spend half my time doing just that :(
Something you might like to try is a hanging pot pourri holder (seeing as how you will now have all those roughed out spindles  ;))
A finial on each end, hollow in the middle with a ribbon coming out the top and pierce the top part of the middle.
Or a nice finial pot, or hollow eggs or a set of skittles and balls. Or try some segmented work for a change.
What about a baby's rattle? Go to "woodturning online" for ideas or just type in woodturning ideas.
Do you belong to a club? if not let us know roughly where you are in the country and I am sure we can team you up with someone.
Best of luck,
Regards
John BHT sw rep

bodrighywood:
As Andy suggests, use Google images but also look up pottery, different historical ages such as medieval, edwardian etc and see the different shapes and designs. Basically nothing is new as such but loads of variations.

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version