General Category > General Discussion

Which Chuck

(1/4) > >>

MCB:
I'm  fairly new to turning and have acquired a 1//2 HP lathe with 3/4 x 16tpi thread on headstock.

From my reading, I've  come to realise that I  need a chuck.

I'm  retired with a pitifully inadequate pension so am unlikely to be able to afford anything VERY expensive.

What would  YOU recommend?

I  look forward to reading your  suggestions and comments

With best wishes and thanks. 

MC Black

bodrighywood:
Ideally the best you can afford obviously. Unfortunately they rarely come up 2nd hand either. There are some cheaper ones out there like this one though I can't vouch for it personally. Hopefully someone will know better.

pete

woody:
I think you will find that one is a clone of the vicmart chuck and there are quite a few chuck jaws from other makes that fit it and I have heard it is quite a good chuck but investigate that first 

Bryan Milham:
I have the chuck Pete identified.

It takes my supernova jaws quite happily and so far I have not had an ounce of of bother with it.

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
When I started turning many moons ago I could not afford to buy a chuck, there were not that many on the market in those days, so I made a screw chuck to fit. I tapped the hole on that and a disc of ply for reverse turning and that is how I used to make my bowls. A chuck is very useful and I would not be without one now but they managed without them years ago.
          I suggest that if you are not in a club you look to join one as there is always kit being swapped and/or sold. As Pete said second hand ones are very rare, purely because of their usefulness and price.
    It might be worth having a trawl on the internet for Longworth chucks, this may be of use to you.
Good luck
Regards
John BHT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version