General Category > General Discussion

Which Chuck

<< < (3/4) > >>

woodndesign:

--- Quote from: John D Smith on August 07, 2013, 07:51:22 PM ---Hi I think you should have a look at the Axminster range of scroll chucks.

Regards John

--- End quote ---

I'm with John on this ... http://www.axminster.co.uk/woodturners-chucks-dept815214_pg1/ ... not that I have shares in Ax ..  :( ..

At the thread size and no doubt lighter/smaller Lathe the K10 would be a good option ...  http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-clubman-k10-100mm-woodturning-chuck-prod800680/ ...  Any one have an idea on the SK10 listed, is it a K10 replacement .. If it's not a too big a price there's a starter pack deal .. http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-k10-clubman-chuck-%28starter%29--package-deal-prod833376/ ....  Also check out Record as well.

Cheers    David

John D Smith:
I have only ever had Axminster chucks and have always been very satisfied with them. I changed my Axminster M900 lathe earlier this year with a different spindle thread size M33 so I purchased two new chucks and sold the other two which had 3/4" X 16tpi threads to suit my previous Record Lathe.I am sure if you put another thread on this Forum someone may have one for sale.Best of Luck.

Regards John

MCB:
Very many thanks to everybody who wrote about this query - both on and off list.

I've  now learned that on their Open Day, Charnwood will be offering their Viper 3 chuck in a package, including:

Viper3,
V3ALU (carrying case),
V3FJ5 (5“ bowl reversing jaws),
V3SJ (Stepped Jaws),
V3PJ (Pin Jaws),
V3WJ (Wide Jaws),
ViperID (Insert for 3/4 x 16tpi) 

for £149.

That strikes me as a good deal.

Or am I  missing something

I  await your  views

With best wishes and thanks. 

MC

Mark Hancock:
MC

If you can wait until the Cressing Temple show come and see me there and I'll go through the options with you.

If you can't wait I would suggest you try and figure out what you want the chuck to do. By that I mean what you think you will be turning and on what lathe. Most find turning very addictive and end up upgrade their lathe so consideration about chuck spindle thread options comes into the equation. I wouldn't be too concerned about range of jaw options as over 20 years of experience has taught me that you end up using only 2 to 3 different jaw designs. Also there are ways of turning which negate the need for certain chuck jaws available which in my view are easier and quicker ways of turning and at the same time saves you money for more necessary equipment and tools.

Mark

afrancis:
When I started turning I purchased the Fox 4000 chuck and recently purchased a Supernovafor almost twice the price. I cannot see any difference in use between the chucks. In fact the Fox has one advantage over the Supernove and that is the index ring. I keep going back to the Fox purely for that facility.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version