General Category > General Discussion

Website Host

(1/4) > >>

Philip Greenwood:
This is to let you know about my last web hosting service.

I have been with a company called Web Mania, They are not responding to any emails or by phone. Payment have been sent for a service which has not been renewed, i know of at least one other person who has lost money too.

I have had to move my websites over to a new company.

If you know anyone who may be with this company then please pass this on.

Philip

woodndesign:

Philip,  Sorry to hear of the problem with your old web host. Are your Bank able to get the payment back, has the company gone bust !!! or just a runner, should hope you are luck to reclaim payment.. And it's hoped your now with a better web host.

I've been wanting to setup a website, I've the domain name a year now, it's who to host with and how, not only if with whom the name is with will let it be setup with another party, as they do hosting and servers, but you can't find out about it till you buy from them, so it may be I'd pay for a load of junk..  One day it'll come together..

David

Andy Coates:
Thanks for that, Philip. It's always good to knowwhere NOT to go.

David,

you can chose any host you wish to. The registrant of the domain name cannot stop you hosting elsewhere, and cannot make it difficult to do so. All you do is pick a host and package, pay for it and activate it, and then follow the instructions to point your domain name to the index file of your hosting space.

You can even apply to transfer the domain to your new host, and many reputable companies will do all this for you at a fewclicks of a form.

a couple of good companies to look at are 123-reg and 1and1, but there are many others.

Lionel Pringle:
I have been with 1&1 for ever and find them to be reliable and always helpful when I need information on how to do things. Brian recently migrated the AWGB website over to them and has found it to have been a good experience. They are not necessarily the cheapest but it depends what sort of a package you need, and cheap does not always mean you save money.

woodndesign:

Interesting !!!!!!!!!! and thank you both, sorry Philip if entered in on your post..  I say interesting because 2 yrs ago this May, my wife looked at putting her business on the internet, and found and was to use 123-reg, also as webfusion ltd..   given the option as extra domain names, said would I like, if available 'woodndesign' (which I've been since the 90's an before this tec age) an build my own site at sometime, well we got it, the wife spent sometime working on her's, but things changed an she had not gone a head with it..  Last year I took to look into setting up a site, it was then I found I could not login to or contact 123 etc.. without logging in..  webfusion, yes, I could e-mail and they said I owned woodndesign, but I needed to contact 123.. the only way was a long and costly phone call, to be told I'd never owned woodndesign and who ever sold in had no rights...  looking up whois, it's listed as..  Registrar: Webfusion Ltd t/a 123-reg and un-named registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their address omitted..   so somewhere I was stuffed..

Am I right in that 1&1 is an American site..  don't see self build websites.

I've since added an 's' on the end and am using uk2net for the domain name, it's the webbuilder and hosting I'm after, they have a webbuilder and hosting, but you've no idea as to what templates you get or anything else..   so it's a long shot to maybe nothing good..   the hunt goes on or someone may have an answer.

David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version