General Category > General Discussion

Discuss - Technique or end result?

(1/5) > >>

Richard Findley:
There have been a few comments recently that have suggested technique is less important than the end result...

I won't add my thoughts just yet, just interested in other people's thoughts.

Please discuss....

Richard

woodndesign:

It will be very interesting to see just how well this will be discussed, Richard, I have my outspoken views, but for now, I wait to see the outcome.

Cheers   David

Les Symonds:
As a relative newcomer, my opinion is biased, but then that is the very nature of all opinion; it is shaped by one's own circumstances. What is important is that we learn to accept opinion for what it is.

Fact, however, is something quite different. 'Fact' is irrefutable, but only once it is proven to be fact. So unless somebody is able to provide irrefutable proof that they are in possession of the facts, then we simply have to accept that opinion will vary and that means that none of us in wrong, even though each of us, for our own set of circumstances, can be right.

From my own standpoint, I sit back in awe at some of the turning that I see on the pages of this forum and in other publications. What is inmportant for me, and is therefore the basis of my opinion, is that whilst I cannot (yet?) aspire to the skills and techniques that some of you guys have developed over the years, I will try to emulate the quality of your work by giving every attention that I can to the shape and to the finish of my work. This might well mean seeking inspiration from you and it might well mean a lot of use of the scraper and of abrasives whilst I develop my skills.

Thus my opinion is that end result is most important. I will concentrate on this for now, but I will never cease to try to develop my technique.

Les

Bryan Milham:
Strange as it may sound, I think they both have their place.

We had a demonstration at the club one night and as far as I was concentred the demonstrators tool control was (eh…) lacking! Then having got to a certain point the demonstrator made the comment; ‘From here I’d sand, it’s a good job I like sanding.’ Looking at the pieces brought in for us to see I have to agree that sanding achieved the aim of producing wonderful looking work. Even if I was not enamoured at the work that would be involved in achieving it in retrospect.

However, and although you could sand a lump of 2” x 2” into one of Cindy Drozda’s wonderful finials, it would not be cost/time effective for the likes of Richard to sand a banister spindle from a square of wood.

Tool control and technique is needed for speed of work and/or to reduce the amount of finishing needed to achieve the required end result. But only where the wanted result can be achieved that way.

As examples (two but I can think of many);

* Mark Sangers Swan form, started on the lathe but then took a lot of work off of it to complete.

* Jo Winters Cherry Bowl, certainly turned but then the lip was shaped and feet sanded from the finished lathe work.If the final form is anything beyond Round & Brown, the final form will have required more than Tool Technique at the lathe.

bodrighywood:
Both are equally important to achieve something that is a step beyond good. Having something that is beautifully and artistically designed but has tool or sanding marks, end grain rough patches etc is as bad IMHO as having a piece that is perfectly tooled and finished but has little or no aesthetic appeal. I personally feel that even novice turners can learn good design making simple (skill wise) pieces. I am sure many of us have seen those bowls, goblets etc that are well produced but leave us cold. There are members on here who are self proclaimed novices but are making items that have good design and are attractive in their own right so it can be done. If, like Richard, you are often making pieces for restoration or repair then design is dictated to by the original and so the finish and technique is more important as is the ability to copy turn, another skill again, but if you are turning to produce one off items then design is as important and should be taught alongside technique.

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version