General Category > General Discussion

Unusual commissions

<< < (2/4) > >>

davidbrac:
100 toggles for gun dog dummies in oak, would have been easier to purchase duffle coat buttons Originally they wanted them in deer antler and may come back for this at a later date

Les Symonds:
A pair of bungs to close off flexible water pipes on a camper van, so that the owner could continue to run the water pump whilst his hand-basin was disconnected!

burywoodturners:
I have had a whole series of commissions from a lady who loves spinning and weaving, fromminor repairs to partly rebuilding a loom I have had a lot of enjoyable tasks. From heddles, treadles, flying shuttles to a lazy kate, you will learn a whole new vocabulary
On spinning wheels, I can only suggest googling spinning wheels and search on images. The technology is straight forward and the regional variation is enormous, so pick the most straight forward one and start from there.

Ron

Mark Sanger:
Been thinking about this but I rarely take on commissions, but my wife sis ask me to make a pestle this weekend. Hardly unusual.  :)

Andy Coates:
Kept meaning to reply to this...but you know...time...

I could be typing for a long time so will limit the list...

a 16" D finial for a Church roof, a 9ft long straight support in green oak (specified "green") for an architect (and then he called to say the oak had split!!!), replacement parts for a 1940's seed broadcaster, a turned box for a canteen of cutlery...that was a challenge..., and ermmm...one request I turned down...errrmmmm...plugs to pop up a woman's...no, not that one...the backdoor!!!! I said I was worried about splinters and the measuring up...

and a couple of engine parts for a 1930's car.

But there are lots more...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version