General Category > General Discussion

A rotten job!

<< < (3/3)

Les Symonds:
Well.....I cherry-picked bits of advise and got the vase finished. It was a bit of a monster to re-mount it and there was a moment when I wished that I'd followed Terry's advise and given up on it, but I felt that it had promise and I wanted to experience working on such a badly damaged piece of wood.
There turned out to be a couple of bruises in the outer surface, where the pair of hose clips had cut into it, so I skimmed the outer face, leaving a slight lip, about an inch down from the top. the reason will become obvious if you look at the finished piece in the gallery.
As for re-mounting and returning the inside; I achieved this by making a jam chuck out of a 5" diameter log. I turned a 70mm spigot on the log to mount it in my chuck, then hollowed out the inside so that the vase slipped into it. I turned a second hollow, deep inside the log, for the foot to sit into. Next, I put 8 saw cuts around the perimeter and down the edge of the log so that I could slip the hose-clips over the whole thing and hold the vase secure....which worked a treat and allowed me to finish cleaning up the inside.

the rest of the story is in the gallery, just as soon as I get it loaded.

Thanks for all the advise that you all gave.....Les

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Les,
      it really doesn't matter on this occasion what the finished product looks like(although I will be interested to see it)as the way you have worked to remount it has taught you more than the value of the finished item.
You have had a steep learning curve and through this you have had to think differently than you might do normally. You may have had to fight harder to work out what to do and I guarantee this is one lesson you will always remember so well done you, another step taken. :D
Regards
John BHT

Paul Hannaby:
Perhaps at times like this discretion might be the better part of valour. I think I wouldn't have risked injury and found a safer piece of wood to turn!

By the way, I think the hose clip might be safer the other way round so the sticking out tail ends up trailing rather than leading - less chance of injury that way.

Les Symonds:
Cheers BHT...thanks for that.

Paul....a very fair point about the tails and I agree with you. When the hose clip was set directly onto the vase the tails were trailing and I also covered them with gaffer tape. However, when I opened the hose clips up to allow for the extra thickness of the wooden chuck, they were working at the limit of their lengths and there were no tails to worry about.

Les

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version