General Category > General Discussion

A rotten job!

<< < (2/3) > >>

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Hi Les,
        why don't you stitch it up with the silver wire? Drill pairs of holes the diameter of the wire and just...................sew it up.
   If you have some ebony or something similar turn a ring with the inside profile to match the outside profile of the foot. Snap it in two and glue it on the foot, thereby re-inforcing the foot and making a feature of it at the same time.You could even use it to hide the ends of the wire used in the stitching.
Just some thoughts
Regards
John BHT

TWiG:
Good on you for attempting to turn such a piece of wood !! It is up to you but I would not spend any more time on it , but think of it as a very good intro / learning experience at this style of turning . Spalted wood is never easy to get a good finish on . It may be better next time to make more of a true hollow form where the interior is not needed to be sanded . As for the cracks . when I have such to deal with, rather than trying to fill them I scorch with a blowlamp to open the edges a little more then use a red hot thin blade or wire to burn the crack a little then clean with folded abrasive to make a feature of the crack  before starting sanding . I do a lot of hollow forms in this style and can often visualise  the potential in an ugly lump of wood that most turners would not look twice at ! It is not always successful but the ones that are I find most satisfying .    Terry...

Les Symonds:
Thanks Pete, John and Terry for all the ideas....I'm probably going to settle for a combination of some of them. Hope to get it finished and into the gallery soon!
Les

bodrighywood:
Have to disagree with you Terry regarding getting a good finish on spalted wood. Prior to finishing give a coat of sanding sealer, sand back with at least 400 or wire wool and then buff and you can usually get an excellent finish. The problem a lot of people have is that they don't get a good cut with the tools and end up with a lot of ripped wood.

Pete

TWiG:

--- Quote from: bodrighywood on October 02, 2013, 09:30:04 PM ---Have to disagree with you Terry regarding getting a good finish on spalted wood. Prior to finishing give a coat of sanding sealer, sand back with at least 400 or wire wool and then buff and you can usually get an excellent finish. The problem a lot of people have is that they don't get a good cut with the tools and end up with a lot of ripped wood.

Pete
It all depends how spalted the wood is !
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version