General Category > General Discussion

Bench Grinders for sharpening

(1/3) > >>

MCB:
The failure of my shed roof with consequent ingress of rainwater, means that I'm  in the market place for a new grinder for sharpening chisels & gouges.

Since ”Which?“ don't run tests on Bench Grinders, I  wonder if readers would  like to post their views and comments about the various grinders available.

And what sort of jigs do you use?

Very many thanks for taking the time to respond

MC

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Hi MC,
         there is a lot of rubbish talked written and spouted about grinders and what to use to sharpen your chisels.
I use B&G grinders with the original stones, they are now about £25 to buy. I learnt how to use them without burning or blueing the tool so I don't need a slow run grinder.The stones are about 3/4 inch wide and that has proved wide enough, so I don't need a 40mm wide stone. I have made my own fixed angle jigs and use a Sorby jig for finger nail grinds and that is my sharpening system, apart from one I made to run backwards.
 Don't get caught out by spending exhorbitant amounts of money on stuff you don't need.
    The only concession I might make is a diamond wheel, if I found one to fit.
Regards
John BHT

Martin Lawrence:
Have a look in the for sale section gives link to offer Lidl have for a grinder with wheel and sanding belt which is great for skews etc.

Cheers Martin

julcle:
Hi MCB  --  I am not so proficient as John and need a jig so use a Record 8" grinder with the Robert Sorby Universal 744 Jig which I find excellent for all chisels and gouges. I did however have a bit of cash in my pocket at Yandles last month and invested in a Pro-Edge. I haven't used the Grinder since ! John is right in what he says, a £25 grinder and make your own jig will work just as well as anything you can spend £400 plus on.

David Buskell:
Hi MC,

I use a Creusen grinder with the Wolverine jig system and the fingernail grind attachment - this covers most of my tools. I've also got the Creusen honing system but haven't used it yet - luckily it wasn't new so not too much money gathering dust in the workshop!

Main tip I would pass on is make sure you have the right grit wheel - most people use white for HSS.  Our club recently got involved with the D & T Dept of a local college who were using an industrial grinder with a grey wheel - about 10 grit! -which produced a fabulous edge  but eats the steel on the tool away! We introduced them to white wheels and a grinder out of the Axminster catalogue and hopefully they are now enjoying a new turning experience.

Ask around at your club to see what kit other members have - you may be able to go along and have a play before you buy.

Hope this helps.

David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version